SS amps. SNR. Emotiva

masterxela

I have a pair of Chorus IIs that I push with a Marantz 8500 avr. Clean sound but lacks the punch I would expect with 15's & passives. I borrowed a friends Crown Xti 2000 to see what I was missing with the Marantz and had noise problems from the start. I used the Marantz as the pre-amp. A loud hum was heard from both speakers as well as a turn on pop. I figured the hum was a ground loop so I used used a universal power cord with the ground removed and a set of directional rca's and still had the hum. I disconnected the inputs to the Crown and still had hum. Once the Crown was turned on an hum was present, even if you shut it off the hum remained. I talked with the owner of the Crown and he had no problems with it before or after it was in my hands. He does run only pro gear for everthing in his home but I can't see how that makes a difference. Bottom line for me was disapointment. I picked up a pair a Forte IIs that sound much better on my Marantz than the Chorus IIs. Keep amp searching or settle for the Marantz/Forte combo? Fustrating to say the least.

I have a pair of Chorus IIs that I push with a Marantz 8500 avr. Clean sound but lacks the punch I would expect with 15's & passives. I borrowed a friends Crown Xti 2000 to see what I was missing with the Marantz and had noise problems from the start. I used the Marantz as the pre-amp. A loud hum was heard from both speakers as well as a turn on pop. I figured the hum was a ground loop so I used used a universal power cord with the ground removed and a set of directional rca's and still had the hum. I disconnected the inputs to the Crown and still had hum. Once the Crown was turned on an hum was present, even if you shut it off the hum remained. I talked with the owner of the Crown and he had no problems with it before or after it was in my hands. He does run only pro gear for everthing in his home but I can't see how that makes a difference. Bottom line for me was disapointment. I picked up a pair a Forte IIs that sound much better on my Marantz than the Chorus IIs. Keep amp searching or settle for the Marantz/Forte combo? Fustrating to say the least.

Sure makes me wonder about those Crown Xti 2000's.

I've had Chorus II's for 20 years and have had equipment that just plain sounded lean and thin. But I've also seen the other side. I demoed the Forte II's with the Chorus II's back in 90 at my local dealer for weeks before making my choice. Everything the Forte II's could do the Chorus II could do bigger and better.

Once you get a Chorus II dialed in(equipment, room, and positioning) its just a real treat. I like vintage Marantz myself with its warm flavor. Also like Crown or QSC for their raw power. That K-48 is like a sledge hammer.

Sure makes me wonder about those Crown Xti 2000's.

I've heard of these issues with the XTI's as well. I have two of them now and at one time was running six at the same time. Never had any type of hum, hiss or noise problem. Black backround as long as the gains are kept down.

Needless to say, I'm on the hunt for a pair of K-2's.....or maybe K-1's. [Y]