Newbie Help Choosing Speaker Stands For B2s

jammerms

Hello,

I have a question about speaker stands for B2s. The background is this: I am NOT a major audiophile, but I *think* that I know a thing or two. So when my father purchased a Bose 2.1 integrated system for his new 50" LED tv, I listened to it and made a bit of a puking sound when I heard it. (Please note that the room is not in any way conducive to a surround setup.) Then I went and bought him what I thought was a decent stereo receiver (Onkyo TX8255) and two B2s, connected with some nice 12-gauge speaker wire. The sound is absolutely amazing.

Problem is, now I need two stands for said B2 speakers. I am considering OmniMount Gemini2 stands and Basic Foundations stands (http://www.htmarket.com/bf.html). But I don't know if those will work with these speakers, or if there are better stands available.

Given the size of the speakers and the height of the television, I will need about 24" stands. Am I looking in the right places? Or does someone have a better suggestion for what to get?

Thanks for your time, and please correct any terminology or assumptions I am wrongly using.

Much obliged,

J

Welcome to the forum....

That's great to hear that you purchased Klipsch speakers for your dad.

A few places that are talked about for speakers stands are.

Racks and Stands

Stands and Mounts

Now I have never purchased from either place but they do have a good selection of products and you can find something and then search the web for a lower possible price. One thing about the B-2, it doesn't have a threaded insert so the stand base should be a decent size to support it.

Also a great place for wires of any kind is MonoPrice. Don't believe every salesman that there is on;y one top speaker wire brand.

Have a great time with this setup...

James

Ok, so we've already run into my ignorance head on. Couple of questions:

(1) When you mention that the B-2 doesn't have a threaded insert, does that mean the speaker will be sitting free on the stand? How do I affix it to the stand?

(2) Is there really any major difference in quality for speaker stands? Or should I judge by appearance and price, and I'll be fine? I want to get him something that will look nice and last as long as the speakers.

Thanks again,

J

Ok, so we've already run into my ignorance head on.

No need, we all have to start somewhere so ask any and every question you need to....

(1) When you mention that the B-2 doesn't have a threaded insert, does that mean the speaker will be sitting free on the stand? How do I affix it to the stand

Yes, the speaker will just be sitting on the stand, gravity will hold it in place. So you will have to look for something with a top plate that the speaker can sit on.

(2) Is there really any major difference in quality for speaker stands? Or should I judge by appearance and price, and I'll be fine? I want to get him something that will look nice and last as long as the speakers.

Like the always used quote, you get what you paid for. I never had speaker stands so I can't really help with which brand is made better but if you do a search on a model that you like you can see if it comes up with a few hits. Again it all comes down to what you really like and how much you want to spend.

James

Thanks again James! But more questions.

Yes, the speaker will just be sitting on the stand, gravity will hold it in place. So you will have to look for something with a top plate that the speaker can sit on.

Ok then...so can I affix the speaker to the stand in any way? Free-standing speakers seem a little scary, because the speakers are going to be on either side of the television, and on one side is a pathway to another room. Plus, I am clumsy, and I don't want my parents' maid accidentally hitting it with the vacuum or something. I am wondering if there is a downside from an audio perspective to using some *light-duty* adhesive to attach the speaker to the stand; not so much that it's like permanently affixed or anything, but enough so that if you bump it or the wires get yanked, it won't shift and is less likely to result in a fall.

Thanks for helping me think this through.

--J

You do have to remember that these speakers have a veneer on them. Any "light" adhesive will no-doubt pull the veneer off, if/when they need to be moved, then again it's only going to be on the bottom so if you or more important your dad doesn't have a problem with it then go ahead.

A buddy had speaker stands that clamped on the sides of the speakers. This would only help in a light bump and anything other then that the entire speaker and stand would fall over.

Any chance to move to speaker up against the wall when not being used, so it's more out of the way? I know this will become a headache but it can really save the speaker from any mishaps. Can you post a picture of the area in question to see if something else might work?

James

• 2 weeks later...