Cornwalls? Maybe??

beemer

I recently stumbled upon what might be a very interesting find. A friend has had a pair of Klipsch speakers in storage for a number of years and may be willing to part with them. I have not seen these speakers (as they are stored 2 hours drive away from here) so cannot be sure what model they are (he is not sure either). From the descriptions my friend has given me, they would seem to be a set of vintage Cornwalls from about the early 70's.

He has described them as a short, fat, BIG 3 way ported speaker, but his description of the port does not fit with any of the Cornwalls I have ever seen pictures of. To be specific, they are a typical (top to bottom) tweeter, midrange, woofer configuration, but are ported (round, 2 1/2 - 3") to the side of the woofer instead of the three rectangular ports on the base of the cabinet. Are these indeed Cornwalls or is there some model of Klipsch that fits this description better from this vintage? (Been thru the classic section of this website and haven't seen anything that matches any closer.)

Next question; if these are Cornwalls in good working order, any suggestions on what (if any) mods might be recommended or necessary for running with more modern receivers/amps, or just general improvement. I wouldn't mind getting some idea of what I might have to put into these for a good restoration and to keep the wife happy. Thanks.

------------------

System:

Technics SA-DA8

Sony CDP-C435 CD

Sony DVP-NS300 DVD

Hitachi UX617 VHS

Klipsch KG4's Fronts

Klipsch KG2.2's Surrounds

Klipsch SC-1 Center

Yamaha YST-SW100 sub

This message has been edited by beemer on 03-17-2002 at 05:06 PM

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but the whole thing has fallen thru. Without telling my friend, another family member disposed of the speakers some time ago. Oh well, someday maybe...Frown.gif

"if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is..."

------------------

System:

Technics SA-DA8

Sony CDP-C435 CD

Sony DVP-NS300 DVD

Hitachi UX617 VHS

Klipsch KG4's Fronts

Klipsch KG2.2's Surrounds

Klipsch SC-1 Center

Yamaha YST-SW100 sub

This message has been edited by beemer on 03-20-2002 at 01:37 AM