Onkyo TX-SR876 safe for RB-61 system?

MikeAK

Hello,

A local Onkyo dealer is trying to clear out the last of their TX-SR876 receivers at a ridiculously low price and I'd like to buy one. I am worried that it might be too much power for my system. Would my system be safe with this much power? I only use my system for movies and TV. Hope I can get some input.

Thanks

• Moderators

Too much power doesn't hurt speakers. What hurts speakers is pushing a receiver too hard causing distortion/clipping.

Buckeye is correct. Think of it like having a ferarri. You have the power when you need to get on the interstate or pull out in traffic but you only use the power when you need it. Your receiver works the same way. Most of the time, your receiver is only using a few watts (litterally). Everything else is used for dynamic scenes or music scores and headroom.

If it is a great price and it has what you are looking for, jump on it!

Thanks for the replies. I figured I'd be ok but wanted to get a cpl other opinions.

smokarz, my local shop is selling the TX-SR876 *NEW* for $899.99. Keep in mind that I am in Canada and we pay a premium here for electronics. This unit sold for $1999.99 + tax so needless to say this is a steal for me.