Please help with set up

Hello, I am new to the board, so hi everyone, and thankyou in advance for any help you can give me.

I just bought speakers and I need to buy wires and a receiver i think.

I have 2 x xf48, 3 xl23 and sub xw300.

Please can you suggest whats I should get to set them up correctly.

I want to use it for music and movies. I have a blu ray aswell

Please help as I dont want to get the wrong thing.

Also please advise on the wires for all the speakers.

Cheers

Wayne

Welcome Wayne!! As far as receivers go... Onkyo (incredible for movies), Yamaha (good all around), Marantz, Harman Kardon...

Wires... monoprice.com or Blue Jean Cables. Both sites offer good, quality, inexpensive, speaker cable. I use 12awg from monoprice, does the job!!

Good luck, let us know what you get. Post some pics!!

Jrod

Good advice from Jrod on the receivers. If your in the US, also try Radio Shack for their 12 gage wire...........local and inexpensive.

Ditto, but just for fun, what's your budget on a receiver? Do not get sucked into spending $$$$$$$$$$$$$ on expensive wires, look on the sites that Jrod provided.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jrod,

Thanks for the advise.

I ended up getting the Onkyo sr-806 thx, Just need to wait till next Tuesday to see how they are.

Thanks again and thanks every one else.

I cant wait to finally hear the XL-23s working, and how the sub and 48's sound.

I feel silly messing around for so long to get a reciever but there are so many and the one I finally got was last minute.

I went to J and R and the guy recommended the Yamaya rx-v765. but they were out of stock, and then said the Onkyo TX-SR707, which was also out of stock.

I left and couldnt wait another week for them to come back in stock so I bought the 806 which cost more.

I hope I made a good decision ?

Anyways I will post some picts when its all set up.

cheers

wayne

The 806 should serve you amazingly well. Heard a few units have an issue with producing white spots through hdmi but i wouldnt expect it. Did you get your speaker wire yet? You have made some great decisions, first with going with klipsch and second with that receiver. Yes we do need pics.

I have an older Onkyo unit (3 yrs old)..... See my signature.

You will be VERY happy with your sound. Read the instructions, and after a bit of time; you should be able to adjust your EQ individually for EACH SPEAKER. This really makes a difference!

Also, (not sure if yours came with a mic to measure distance) setting distance with the mic (or even using a ruler to measure from each speaker to the listening position)....... This is CRUCIAL.

You will love your setup; I promise.

Cheers.....

Yes i would order your wires as soon as possible. Use www.monoprice.com for all of your cable needs. Order like 4 hdmi cables and know that 1 of them has to be long enough to go from your receiver to your tv. The other 3 i would get in 4 and 3 foot lengths. Order the 12 guage standard speaker wire (not the one with the white coating unless you are running it through your walls). I would also order some closed screw banana plugs as they clean up your cabling a bit (there is a link to a install tutorial for these right on their page at monoprice). Order a optical cable if you need one. They have a premium 2 rca plug to 3.5mm plug that i found was useful for hooking up mp3 player/ ipod. They have a great assortment of cords so order anything else you might need (subwoofer cable if you have or are getting as subwoofer). They even have really cheap and effective wall mounts for your tv if that was something you are interested in. You can copy paste what you are ordering here before ordering if you want some of us to check it out to if you are worried about if you are getting the right things. You can get aton of great fun stuff for around $50 shipped

Congrats Wayne! You have yourself a really nice piece of equipment there, great choice going with the Onkyo! I love my Integra (made by Onkyo), movies are truly a treat (especially blu-rays, with the new HD sound formats). I think you'll really enjoy it. Nice power too with the 130w/channel!

Congrats again, let's see that set-up!

Jrod

Thanks, that is exactally what info I needed.

Also with the xf48s which i have for front l and r, says that I should use the line in rather than the speaker wire ? Is this correct, and what are those wires ? its meant to go to the pre-out which is one plug ? and the speaker has one plug. is it a rca plug ?

sorry for being so clueless.

Also thanks for the info on mono, as I have my set up in my apt which is small ( NYC for you ) and I have been planing to get a wall mount.

Cheers

Wayne

Lol how long have you had your equipment just sitting around not being used? You need to get jammin! Yes you can run just a standard RCA cable from the back of your speaker to your coresponding preout of your receiver, here is a link to the 12ft edition of the cable you would want to get http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10236&cs_id=1023603&p_id=2682&seq=1&format=2

They have that cable in longer lengths too if that would work better.

get your cable from any of the places mentioned above. I'm surprised no one else has said anything so I will.

The 807 is a great receiver, but I would suggest that since the 48s are an active speaker sto maybe look at buying a something with less power and better sound quality. you've got 3 speakers that need to be powered so why not look into seperates, a marantz, HK.

Thanks, that is exactally what info I needed.

Also with the xf48s which i have for front l and r, says that I should use the line in rather than the speaker wire ? Is this correct, and what are those wires ? its meant to go to the pre-out which is one plug ? and the speaker has one plug. is it a rca plug ?

sorry for being so clueless.

Also thanks for the info on mono, as I have my set up in my apt which is small ( NYC for you ) and I have been planing to get a wall mount.

Cheers

Wayne

if your setup is mostly for music your probably better off with the RCA's on the xf48's since I'd assume you would be doing a lot of listening in stereo. But in the idea that your not and you will be using the system as a 5.1 , I really recommend that you try it both ways. With the RCA hookup and then also with the speaker line input. (not at the same time though) and adjust the speaker sensitivity switch accordingly. I found that running the speaker line inputs brought the accuracy of the whole system closer. Experiment and really try mixing up setups and speaker positions until your fully satisfied. The xf48's need to be off the wall at least 18" in my room to sound their best. Others have had to be closer and some very much farther.