Fisher vs. Eico Tuners?

Hey guys, am looking to bundle a tuner with the Eico HF-81 that I just picked up.

Based on Mobile's input, I am considering an Eico HF-90 that's available, but I also see a few other vintage tube tuners and was wondering if anybody can comment on these (whether they are good or not).

The Fisher:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1338891006

An Eico 90A:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1338920861

The Eico 90:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1338913852

There's a VERY retro-looking Scott too:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1339118369

Any and all comments are welcomed!

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

I use a HF-90 tuner with my HF-81 and it's very good for a monaural Tuner. There is a Multiplex Adapter for stereo use, but I've never seen one or know what they go for. I also have a Fisher 800-B Multiplex receiver and do like the FM tuner in this unit. It has selections for MPX Filter, MPX Stereo and regular FM with Local and Distance antenna terminals. The Fisher has an excellent tuner section which provides really wonderful FM music with no drifting or hiss.

Will come down to whether you prefer a unit that will provide true FM Stereo playback vs. the monaural FM of the HF-90 sans MPX adapter.

------------------

"KLIPSCH IS MUSIC"f>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 03-18-2002 at 04:33 PM

Chris,

Don't know if your interested or not but I'm thinking of selling that Scott Stereomaster 350C tube tuner that I received with my tube amp.Its a FM only tuner and is really in excellent condition.From what the former owner stated it worked fine when last played.You can view it on www.hhscott.com .Let me know what you think.

Jeff

Jeff, thanks for the offer. Just picked up the Eico 90 for $89 from someone in the Berkshires. I'll give it a listen, but may be interested in yours. Would be nice to have a stereo tuner. The 90 is for my brother (to go with the 81).

Thanks.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Jeff

You have mail !!

Chris Robinson

How is the HF-81 doing ? I seen that you had a slight problem with the channels not putting out properly or something(at least I thought it was you).

Mine has a similar problem it seems to only put out to both channel in mono but with the selector in normal mode. In the AMP 1 test mode it puts out to both speakers and sounds the same as nomal or reverse, in amp 2 nothing. But it doesn't suprise me the way its wired. Is yours relatively stock looking under the chassis ?? If so is it posible that you could do me a favor and take a close up picture of the under chassis wiring of yours ? I sure would appreciate it. Its all I need to fix the wiring and make it work right. Its sounds fairly good in the screwy shape that's its in and I bet it would really sing in good electrical shape.

Craig

------------------

HH Scott Tube FM Tuner LT-110B

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-19-2002 at 11:32 AM

Craig, I actually already took those photos and would be happy to email it to you. It will be a pretty big file (600K) so if you could shoot me an email at home (robinsonc@attbi.com) I'll reply with the photo.

Turned out the problem was just an intermittent ground on the "-" end of one of the speaker terminals. When I got it working, it sounded wonderful. Have it taken apart now for sanding, painting and polishing Smile.gif I love this stuff!!!

Just scored a pair of Polk RT-5's like Mobile's got on his website for $97 on Ebay. They look very clean and will go very nicely with the Eico. I think my brother will be very happy when Santa arrives early Smile.gif

------------------

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

HOME THEATER

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

Mike,

Yea Tannenbaum has them and I have the Sams for it. But a good photo of a properly put together one helps even more.

------------------

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 03-19-2002 at 05:06 PM

Yea that was what the mail was saying. I already have a LT-110B which is the kit version of that tuner. I was wondering what you wanted for it and also if you have hooked it up to see if it works good ?? I'm not in needing it in a big way but like the game show if "The price is right" LOL !!!!

Let me know

------------------

HH Scott Tube Amp 222C

HH Scott Turn Table P-87

Sony DE-975 AV Receiver

Sony NS-900P DVD

Sony CD 5 DISC C315

Syenrgy SF-2 mains

KSC-C1 Center Channel

KSW-15 Sub

SS-1 Surrounds

Promedia 5.1 for the PC

Chris & NOS,

Well,with the day off and really nothing to do because of the snow (I know-first day of Spring with 8+ inches of snow due)I figured I'd fire up the Scott Tube tuner 350C.

Checked everthing over once and plugged it in-all lights working,hooked up my RCA jacks and Parsec FM antenna but no sound so I decided to look over the operating manual.It has level controls on the back of the tuner to match the amplifier input and these were both turned down.Turned them both up and HEY, whatdaya know FM sound!

Left it on for a couple hours to test it out.No problems what-so-ever.What really suprised me was how strong it was for pulling in weak stations as I have one of the best SS tuner around (Yamaha T85).

I'm gonna try it out for a couple more days before I do anything as it looks like these Scott tuners are in high demand on E-bay judging from the prices they fetch.

When I decide what I gonna do I'll let you guys on the forum know first.

Jeff

Jeff, put me on your list of people to "ping" when you get around to selling it. Would like a nice stereo FM tuner for the living room.

Fun watching it snow! Still can't believe there are people in this state (er, excuse me, Commonwealth) who insist on going 15 mph on a clear, plowed road for 10 miles of double-striped road (Rt 117). Argh Smile.gif