SVS PB13 Ultra

TxEvo8

I just picked one of these subs up from a local guy who had advertised it on Audiogon. First impression when I walked into this guy's home was "That thing is HUGE"!! He demo'd it for me and it sounded great, so I gave him $1100 for it. The thing is in immaculate condition, not a single scatch.. I have been in low end bliss ever since. This is my first sub, so I am constantly playing around with it to make it sound the way I like, are there any suggestions out there for settings, placement, etc. that might help me get going in the right direction?

I love my pb13 U, I'm hoping to purchase another one sometime this year if the wife will let me. As far as placement goes you usually hear "go for a corner" which is great to get some added boundary gain, but IMO and in my room with the PB13 U the added boundary gain is uneccessary, I've got mine placed to the left of my FL speaker. The sub is approx. 6.5 ft from the side wall and 3ft from the rear wall. In my room it gives nice tight smooth bass and LFE.

I've got one port plugged, the consensus is that if you can give up a little SPL one port plugged gives a smoother in room response typically, the thread is somewhere on avs.

As far as settings go I have my PB13 U set to Large room crossover just above 80Hz for multi channel analog purposes, gain set to about 11 o'clock maybe a tad less, -5dB in my processor for digital inputs (for dolby and DTS), for stereo listening it's +5db ( a little hot) and +5 for my multi channel analog inputs.

One things I will suggest is that if your moving it around to find a location use some cardboard to make it easier to slide around.

A very good sub the SVS flagship. I would try (if at all possible) set the sub up front not far from the left or right mains. And go from there. Duals will smooth out the in room response and add to the headroom,worthy upgrade.

I think I will call the Canadian distributor and order dual Ultras myself...wait I running out of possible space to place them...LOL Sad but true.

As for huge,no this sub is not small. You should see what a BIG sub is. Try the Conquest, its starts to be large. Some Danley subs are large.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked one of these subs up from a local guy who had advertised it on Audiogon. First impression when I walked into this guy's home was "That thing is HUGE"!! He demo'd it for me and it sounded great, so I gave him $1100 for it.

I just have 1 thing to say............. "You suck".....and I mean this in an effectionate kind of way....LOL

Nice purchase!!!!!!

I am familiar with this sub (my retired senior citizen dad ownes one) ....LOL. He can't even let it to 'do it's thing' because my mother has tons of collectible-breakables on shelves/hanging on the walls.

The first time I tested the Ultra13 good was during a family Christmas visit. (unfortunately, I live 750miles away) We were watching "Transformers"...and I coaxed my dad to push it......we got to an early movie scene when the robot helecopter was destroying the desert military base when one of my mothers collector plates hanging on the wall smashed onto a buffet cabinet................BWAhahahahaha....wooops.....and we thought the noise was a realistic surround-sound gunshot!!!! We were thinking...wow...great surround effects!!

Funny stuff.... it smashed to bits all over the place. My mom even took it in stride.(amazingly) My dad had just purchased ALL-new Klipsch speakers (thanks to me) and added the Ultra13 sub for good measure. What amazes me is that I recommended a lesser SVS sub knowing his living situation with all my mothers breakables and all....and he decided on the ULTRA13 on his own!!!! LOL

[8-|]

PS...my dads most recent previous HT-system was one of those Bose Cube systems.....HORRIBLE!! Back in the day when I was growing up..... my dad owned some pretty nice audio gear, and I was shocked when he bought that piece of sh!t Bose cube-Sh!t in his old age. He caught on fast....he knew what he got was inferior....a big terd. He knew it.... With my help, it's all good now. He is back!!!.........and owns a very nice HT-system...especially for an old retired/senior citizen guy...LOL