Fortes and Academy in oak oiled how to care

The Dude

This weekend I stumbled upon a great deal on some Klipsch speakers, I guess you figured they were Klipsch that's why I am here. But to the point some that I might be keeping are the Fortes and Academy, which are both oak oiled. One of the Fortes has a few spots such as a water ring that looks like someone try to rub out which now looks like raw wood, and a burn mark. The kgs that a I also scored with them, don't have any damage just dull looking. And the Academy has a slight water ring that isn't noticeable.

I guess my question is what do I use to care for and shine up some oak oiled products, plus on the Fortes with the raw wood is there any helping these such finish sanding the top a to even it out, then re oiling them. Would like to get these prettied up in case I decide to sell or just to look nice were ever they go in my home. Also how do the grills come off on the Fortes and Academys, and the Fortes grills look like they need some serious cleaning I don't know if its just aging or that's how they are suppose to look but it looks as if they have a brownish hue.

thanks

Nick

to get the stain out you have to lightly sand 120 -180 grit. i use a dewalt orbital sander. klipsh uses boiled linseed oil so thats what everyone uses. i just did the same to my walnut belle. if you don't need to sand the sides just use steal wool and then apply the oil.

Let me suggest that you don't use steel wool when working with oak. Iron (the major component of steel) is infamous for reacting with the tannin in the oak to form a black stain. You can Google.

I do suggest a Scotchbrite pad. No iron in such things.

I've never really agreed with the use of boiled linseed oil -- but everyone has their own thoughts. Please observe warnings about fire hazards.

You can use regular old furniture oil like the many lemon sented mineral oils available at the grocery or HD. This seems to be what Klipsch has recommended to buyers. These do not build a finish. They eventually evaporate. But it is rewarding to reapply.

If you want to build a finish, I recommend a wiping varnish like those from Minwax or Homer Formby.

Wm McD