Mix-matching speakers for HT system

wfo1955

I am slowly purchasing HT components, a pair at a time. Currently, I have no amp.

I have rf-63's, 1980's Heresy's and r-3650-w rears. Since it would appear that I need a large integrated AV amp of 150-200w, the 3650's probably can't handle the power, true?. I am looking at the r-5502-w's, which has a recommended power amp of 130w. Can anyone chime in on their pros and cons. Are these considered "reference" speakers and in keeping with Klipsch's recommendation should I only use "reference" speakers?

According to Klipsch, everytime I think I have found a speaker system, they say for example that THX architectural speakers should be matched with other THX components, true?

I know, clear as mud. Simply put, can I mix reference speakers with THX speakers?

Thanks, all y'all always give great advice.

i have r-3650-w's like you do (only they are mounted in old kg 3.5 cabinets) and connected to my marantz which specs out at 125wpc. Since my mains are driven by an external amp there's no lack of power for my other 3 channels ..and I've yet to have any problems at very loud levels. You should be fine with whatever you choose.

Thanks for the reply....another question....with my non-thx speakers, could I use a thx av receiver? I am looking at the Onkyo TX-NR5007 9.2 channel AV THX Ultra2 HT Receiver(145w). Any adverse issues with this amp?

BTW, I am trading up from the rears r-3650-w to the r-5502-w (75w-130 amp ecommended.)

Thanks again for the advice

• Moderators

with my non-thx speakers, could I use a thx av receiver?

Absolutely. THX is merely a stamp of approval. A company can create a product that would meet THX standards but maybe does not want to pay the extra cash to have THX put their stamp on their product.