Weird problem with a tweeter in my KG-4's

erdric

Sorry for the length...

I posted some time ago about a problem that I was having with one of my Kg-4's. When calibrating my system (with Avia) I noticed that one speaker was reading 1-1 1/2 db's higher than the other. Prior to that session the two speakers were dead even.

Last week I recalibrated the system. Guess what? The two speakers were dead even again. Great right? Well, curiosity got the best of me and I checked again last night. Sure enough, they were out of balance again.

I've checked all the cables, connections and receiver. I've switched the KG-4 out and the problem follows the speaker. I KNOW that the problem is with the speaker. Nothing in the room has changed so it's not the environment.

As an experiment I put my sound meter on a tripod one foot from each speaker and directly in front of each driver and tweeter. I took readings at each and confirmed that one tweeter is registering lower than the other by a couple of db's.

Again, these speakers used to be dead even, then out of balance, back to dead even, and now out of balance again. What gives?

I might try to replace the tweeters but I'm concerned that it might be the crossover.

So any guesses as to what would cause an intermittent change in volume?

Anyone know what happened to the parts list?

1985 KG-4's, 4 ohm model.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Samsung TXL2791F DynaFlat

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

This message has been edited by erdric on 03-19-2002 at 04:39 PM

I exchanged emails with Trey when this first occurred. At the time I didn't know that this problem was intermittent. I thought that new fact might shed some more light on the situation and it might be worth a follow-up post.

I try to post on the BB before I hassle Klipsch support. There are so many people here that really know the ins and outs of the speakers that I figure they're almost like Klispch support.

At this point I'd be happy if someone would let me know if there are replacement tweeters/crossovers available. If not the exact ones from the 1985 model year then the next best thing. I'll call Trey if no one jumps into this thread with some information.

Thanks Doug.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

Yeah, I can't understand why they haven't put the parts list back on the website. I really wish that they would.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3