New project.

Guest David H

Guest David H

Started a new project, sorry no horns on this one.

No horns yet anyway, the HF section is completely removable, so I can change the mid and tweeter anytime. The HF section is also vibration isolated and movable, this may aid in time alignment, and is also aimable. The HF grill will be possibly trapeziod shaped, and open on all side to allow the di-polar Heil operate properly.

post-24405-13819555111448_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819570392934_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

Preliminary testing is done, the combination sounds excellent, now needs some finish work.

Amazingly enough the Audio Nivana super 10 has just as much energy and dynamics as a horn with excellent detail. The ESS Air Motion Transformer is simply phenominal when used solely as a tweeter.

Guest David H

Seen here, did a side by side comparison of the Heil vs: the Beyma. I had Paul and Craig over for the comparison, and gave them control of the A/B switch. I did not tell them which one they were listening to, and although they were a close comparison the Heil was picked every time. I set the SPL with a calibrated mic and True RTA, the gain was set using an active crossover, no setup guessing was done during this test. The tests were done at 4500hz 6khz and 7khz.

The Heils new cost is $700 per pair, they were not $400 better than the Beyma.

post-24405-13819555112528_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819570393844_thumb.jpg

Guest David H

What frequency are you crossing that horn-loaded ESS tweeter at?

What frequency are you crossing that AN 10 at?

Preliminarily I am crossing the AN-10 at 300hz 1st order, the Heil is crossed at 7k 3rd order. I am running active, so changes are simple, I have tried many different slopes and frequencies, and keep reverting back to this one.

Dave

The Beyma TPL-150H is an AMT tweeter that uses a horn. 102db/1meter. The hot ticket on a number of forums......Number of reviews state

it is one of the best tweeters they have ever heard...........Maybe Greg can get you a loaner. Only one problem.....expensive[:(]

James

Guilford, Indiana

Guest David H

The Beyma TPL-150H is an AMT tweeter that uses a horn. 102db/1meter. The hot ticket on a number of forums......Number of reviews state

it is one of the best tweeters they have ever heard...........Maybe Greg can get you a loaner. Only one problem.....expensiveSad

James

Guilford, Indiana

You are absolutely correct, I suggested that Greg try a pair a few weeks ago. The only drawback to the TPL-150 is that it is not Di-polar, or maybe it's better because of that. I have read many like to remove the rear cover on the non horn loaded version for that reason.

I actually have a horn design for the Heil AMT, but I am not sure it is worth the effort.

Dave

Guest David H

Nice work!! Almost looks like a Wilson Watt Puppy. Are you staying active or building a passive for this box?

I dont think I can go back to passive crossovers after using actives, at least for my 2 channel, I use passives in my HT.

post-24405-13819555238108_thumb.jpg

post-24405-13819570497698_thumb.jpg

Dave,

Like this alot!

I've been thinking... I know, "uh oh".

Seriously though. I've got these JBL L65's sitting around with a killer tweeter (the 2405) in them. They won't fit in the space where the CT-125's go but if I had a nice wooden box for them like you did in this project I could outboard them and then have a toggle to switch them with the other tweeter. I can do the finish work but am not really up to the construction part. I would like to have a faux art deco look for the box, sort of like an old table radio from the 30's.

What ye think?

Herb

Guest David H

Thanks Herb.

My only concern with using the JBL tweeters on your Cornscala's is the sensitivity of the tweeter, I am not sure you will be able to match the SPL.

I knew that to be the case with the Heil, that is why I chose lower sensitivity woofers, and I love the looks of the phase plug. Dam, I am listening with my eyes again.

Dave.

Thanks Herb.

My only concern with using the JBL tweeters on your Cornscala's is the sensitivity of the tweeter, I am not sure you will be able to match the SPL.

I knew that to be the case with the Heil, that is why I chose lower sensitivity woofers, and I love the looks of the phase plug. Dam, I am listening with my eyes again.

Dave.

I've attached the spec sheet on the 2405. My concern is that I might have to go higher on the Xover to match the freq response of the tweeter. This could ask too much of the K-55?

2405.pdf

2405.pdf

Guest David H

Actually Herb, this tweeter will probably work fine. Its 8ohm 105db and 40 watt program power handling above 6k. Currently you are crossed at 6k 3rd order, and you are using minimal power for in home use. I dont think the tweeter will sustain any damage.

Enjoy, Dave

Dave, your veneer work is fantastic! I love the way you lined up the grain on the front, the way it wraps around the bottom woofer, and then the little "V" in between the woofers. Exquisite. Is this paper-backed? Any trouble turning the radius?

Is the Beyma TPL150 the same thing as the Heil? I'm still waiting for a special price from my supplier on the TPL150. I told him I wanted to try a pair out for myself and asked what he could do for me. There's a new shipment coming in next week, we'll see. I've got a decent credit there right now that I'd like to use up!

The CP21F didn't sound as good as I had hoped. I still preferred the CP25.

How would you describe the difference between the two tweeters you tried?

Greg

Actually Herb, this tweeter will probably work fine. Its 8ohm 105db and 40 watt program power handling above 6k. Currently you are crossed at 6k 3rd order, and you are using minimal power for in home use. I dont think the tweeter will sustain any damage.

Enjoy, Dave

I'm going to rig up a SPDT switch this weekend and try it out just setting the tweeter on top of the Cornscala. If it sounds good I'll get back to you on my box idea.

Herb