Say Goodbye to Analog Ports on Blu-ray Players

Coytee

I posted a comment once about where I understood HDMI to be going. I stumbled across this today which goes into more detail.

http://www.cepro.com/article/say_goodbye_to_analog_ports_on_blu_ray_players/?utm_source=CEPWeekly&utm_medium=email

I'm looking to find two 50' runs of HDMI cables but, in anticipation that something will trip that up, I'm laying four Cat 6 lines parallel to where I want the HDMI's to go. Best I've found now is needing two Cat 6 lines to run a single HDMI line. This article infers you will be able to use a single Cat 6 line for a single HDMI.

I hope this does not mean analog audio ports tooSad. Adios to component

At the risk of being wrong, that is my understanding. You might be able to use the analog ports however, you are going to be forced to give up the HD picture. Also... I have a voice in the back of my head that says "and after a certain date, they are not 'restricting' the use of analog but eliminating it altogether" Meaning, they will in time, be 100% dead.

This is (to me) why it's important for those who are burying your wires in your walls, to try to think ahead. Supposedly, these signals will work across Cat 6 wires. Much to my surprise on reading this article, they infer you will be able to use a single HDMI on a single Cat6. I was under the current impression that it took two Cat 6's to create a single HDMI. This is why I ran four Cat 6 runs across my room....to give me the ability to have 2 HDMI's if need be. Now, it seems I might be able to have four (as though I'd ever need two?)

I've wired my entire house with Cat6 and new coax, but i really don't think HDMI is going any time soon. It will last at least another 7 eyars before the replacement cabling will start to gain popularity. And even then, it's not going to be a problem since most of the HDMI cables are used inside the AV. So replacing them will be easy. Those who run 1080p projectors, 70" or bigger silver screen with 50" HDMI - if you have money for such setup, you will be able to pay for new cabling installed. Harsh? Sure, but also true.

I'm not sure if your take was the same as mine.

My take on what I've read is that HDMI is as you say, here to stay for a while. Point being, it's the PRIOR delivery methods that are currently at risk of being darkened out, not HDMI.

I'm still planning on running some conduit. Need to get busy on that since I'm just about ready for drywall on my ceiling.

I don't see a point in using anything but HDMI if you have HDMI capable gear. Speakers will always use regular copper pair, so that's safe. If someone's equipment doesn't support HDMI and they want it to last a bit longer, well - start putting money away on new system and cables. It always suck to replace an entire AV rack when single AMP or DVD goes and there is nothing else copatible to replace them with.

Oh, and there will always be somone making equipment compatible with older technologies - it just may cost extra.