My new Icon WF-34s need a new receiver... any opinions/suggestions on a good used receiver vs a new receiver?

navadog

I just purchased a new pair of Icon WF-34 tower speakers. They are beautiful and they sounded great at the shop where I bought them. However, my 8 year old entry level sony receiver doesn't make them sound nearly as good.

I have come across a Sony STR-DA5200ES receiver for about $400 and I am very tempted to scoop it up, however I have seen that one or two other guys on the board who have found receiver's by Integra of Pioneer for under $300. Does anyone have anything comments? I like the fact that this receiver has HDMI inputs, but I have heard that some people consider Sony to be non-audiophile. I am just starting out in this whole higher end sound stuff. Seriously I have never owned anything high end except for when CD players first came out and they were super expensive.

Thanks!

Hi Nava, and welcome! My personal opinion is that Sony's don't sound very good with Klipsch gear, again, just my opinion.

As for what does sound good (obviously subjective)... Integra/Onkyo (very good for movies, good for music), Marantz (very good for music, good for movies), Denon & Yamaha (both good all-around). Pioneer makes good receivers, as well.

As far as price goes... shop around and be patient, if you aren't scared to buy used (I'm not and I got a great receiver for a great price) there are deals to be had. Keep an eye on audiogon.com, ebay, and your local craigslist.

Are you looking to start a home theater or is this going to be strictly for music?

This is going to be both a home theater and a music source. However, at this stage, it is unlikely I will have surrounds (my wife doesn't want a lot of speakers in the house). So it will be a 3.1 system and then I will listen to my CD's and iTunes library through the receiver.

I am looking around, not finding a whole lot in my area in terms of receivers, but probably the most difficult part of all of this is being patient.

Onkyo and Integra are great receivers but i have never wanted to invest too much in them just because they run hot (they dont have a high fault rate though). My vote goes to pioneer elite brand just because my biased guess is they reproduce the best music. There are deals to be had out there especially if buying used. Of course there are tons of great deals on new equipment if you know where to look. www.slickdeals.com usually has a receiver deal on the front page every few days

I've got Denon 1910 90w x 7 and Pioneer 2012 THX select 100w x 7 (same as one of the Elite models) and RF7s as main front. From the sound - like Klipsch Pioneer combo more, but Denon is newer model and has HDMI, so RF7s hooked up to it. Denon sounds good with RF7s, but i though that Pioneer was ever so slightly more pleasant.

I originally wanted the denon, love the looks of them (probably what is least important in a receiver[:P]) and heard they sound great. Also i believe you can get the onkyo 607 for like $375 or something right now at www.newegg.com with coupon code ONKYO31225 . Good deal and price effective. Downside is the receiver does not have preouts if you were ever to add an amplifier. Still my vote goes to stalking a midend pioneer (if budget allows) and pouncing when the price is right.

You'll really like that Pioneer 1019. I have the 1015 (non HDMI version) that I bought on the advice from a forum member and it really sounds good (even with RF 7's). In contrast, I have an Onkyo tx-sr 805 that I'm currently using as a pre amp (because of the HDMI switching feature). Before I got the amp hooked up I used it's internal amps and I found it to be MUCH MUCH brighter than the Pioneer and just didn't seem to have the power either. Now that I have the B & K hooked up it's somewhat better but still very bright, so much that I am trying to find stuff to sell in order to get a Reference 70.

This is just my experience so YMMV.

I will add that I am also using an Onkyo tx-sr 806 that I have heard people say is inferior to the 805 based on weight (due to the power supply) and other factors but I find that receiver to sound much better than the 805.

Integra are great. They are made by onkyo. Jrod can attest to their quality. Is this the one in san jose south? Okay well you can do alot better that the dtr 7.1 especially at his asking price (anything over $175). Upon a quick search south bay SF area (is this the one you are working with or somewhere else?) I found this denon avr3803 http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ele/1641802048.htmThe guy is asking $250. I would offer $200. Make sure it is clean and comes with remote, for that amount of money you dont have to settle for less.

I love my Integra. Like I said, very good for movies, good music. That model is what I would consider an older model. I think it was released in '02, not sure. As far as specs go, it won't be able to decode any of the new HD sound formats (Dolby TrueHD and DTS-MA), if that's not a big deal to you then you'd be okay.

What's the price? For something from '02 it should be pretty cheap ($150-200)...

I'd be more inclined to go with the Denon at 200 bucks over the 7.1, however, I'm sticking to my "be patient" message. I suggest waiting a while, save up a little more $$$ (like a $500 budget), then pounce on a newer receiver when you see a great deal.

My .02

PS- I got my Integra for under $500 and I has EVERYTHING I was looking for in a receiver.

Yes be patient. I would atleast make an offer on the denon receiver though if it is in your area, that denon will give you some great sound. At $185 that denon would be a good grab. I got my receiver which is comparable to that denon (The denon is a little better) for $165 but i think i got lucky. If you watch alot of blu-rays get a newer receiver that will work with hd codecs. If you mainly watch tv and listen to music an older receiver will suit you just. You can still get hd blu-ray audio through an older receiver through analog outputs on the blu-ray playerbut that is confusing and takes alot of cords. Do yourself a favor and order some 12 guage speaker wire and banana plugs from www.monoprice.com too (please dont tell me you bought some from bb). Keep us updated and post pics when it comes togethor.

Actually I have never purchased speaker wire from Best Buy or even from Circuit City (when it was still in business). I have always gotten my speaker wire at Radioshack (don't throw tomatoes, there are not a whole lot of high end audio shops in Santa Cruz).

I checked out Monoprice.com and I am overwhelmed at my options. I don't know where to begin! Are we talking about something like their 12AWG Enhanced Loud Oxygen-Free Copper Speaker Wire Cable - 100ft?

I am supposed to go check out that Integra DTR 7.1 tomorrow morning, but now I am not sure if I want to pay $175+ for it. I have to drive 45 minutes to San Jose just to check it out. Then again, I was considering just getting the Pioneer VSX-1019AH-K from BB or perhaps even the Sony STR-DN1000.

So many options!!!!

When I got to listen to the ICON line, one thing that impressed me was that they were being Played with a simple Denon 2803 Receiver. The sound was Fantastic.

IF you have a Best Buy, check out the Denon 1910, or Pioneer 1019 units. They have a return Policy, and if local you have Serivce and save Gas and Time.

EDIT:

Radio Shack - Yes

Sony - I say No way, but your tastes may Vary.............Good Luck !

I am in Santa Cruz, but I don't really have a problem with driving up to San Jose or even to Palo Alto if I can find a good deal.

As I said before, I have my eye on a Sony STR-DA5200ES, but that is just because I have mostly owned Sony's in the past save for one Yamaha (which was great).