Heresy Shorthorn style grill frames

greg928gts

I got an order for a pair of these unusual grill frames that I started building a couple of years ago. I figure there might be a few new members here who haven't seen these and might find them interesting.

It seems that some people really like them, and others not so much. It takes a lot of labor to join the pieces together, router out the backs, sand and finish, and install the grill cloth.

These ones are walnut.

Greg

post-11090-13819555292972_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819570545914_thumb.jpg

I really liked these when I first made them, but now I'm not so sure I like them anymore! The grill frames themselves are beautiful, but there's something about the style that I don't like anymore. Maybe it's the way it tilts the speaker back. I don't know, just not my thing anymore.

Slick attachment I think.

Greg

post-11090-1381955544801_thumb.jpg

post-11090-13819570662348_thumb.jpg

Four screws are needed, precisely located on the front edge of the speaker cabinets, and the weight of the speaker holds the screws into the slots.

Greg

Hey Greg,

Just a thought here, what if you made a rabbitt edge all the way around the inside of the new covers, so they fit inside the factory face of the Heresy's. Wouldn't the pressure from the back of the speaker hold the face on with just gravity doing the work. I think this would work on carpet, but on hardwood, adhesive rubber strips could be placed on the floor contact points.

Or have you already tried that?

Four screws are needed, precisely located on the front edge of the speaker cabinets, and the weight of the speaker holds the screws into the slots.

Greg

Hey Greg,

Just a thought here, what if you made a rabbitt edge all the way around the inside of the new covers, so they fit inside the factory face of the Heresy's. Wouldn't the pressure from the back of the speaker hold the face on with just gravity doing the work. I think this would work on carpet, but on hardwood, adhesive rubber strips could be placed on the floor contact points.

Or have you already tried that?

Not a bad idea, but the frames might work their way out as the speakers are playing. I'd only be able to "let them in" about 3/8". Also, I don't know if the tolerances on Heresy dimensions are exactly the same over the years.

Greg

Thanks for the post. I'm a new member that's never seen them before & find them more than just interesting. They look like a great combo of form & function - increasing the woods' beauty while serving as a slant riser as well. They're definitely on my upgrade list if they can be done on Heresy I's (noticed post that mentioned III's).