Need some HT Speaker advice - Keep the RS-10's and RS-42's or let them go?

Dssguy1

Ok, I have a new HT room in my basement and need your expert advice! I am attaching a photo in the next post.

2 KLF-30's for mains

1 KLF-C7

2 RS-42's

2 RS-10's

1 RSW-15

2 KSP-S6's that won't fit for surrounds but if you think they would work for rears better than the RS-42's I am game for that.

Denon 2310CI (AVR-890)

I am sitting 10.5' from my 82" Mitsubishi

The fronts are about 12' from me at a 45 degree angle.

Center is about 7' up (aimed at me of course) and 10.5 feet away.

I want to put the surrounds about 7.5' up on a soffit directly left
and right of me. They would be about 7' to the side of the prime
watching location.

The rears would be about 10' behind me at a 45 degree angle. and also about 7' up.

Now that you can visualize my setup, I want to ask a basic question. If I was going to keep the RS-10's and the RS-42's, which would you use for the surrounds and which for the rears? The RS-10's would fit the best as surrounds but I wasn't sure if you wanted more power for rears or for surrounds.

I have contemplated getting RS-35's for the surrounds but I wasn't sure what you guys thought.I got a great deal on the RS-42's so I would like to keep them.

I have never had a HT system even remotely as sweet as this one so I do not have a golden ear and do not need to buy the speakers that go with a golden ear. I just want a system that matches all around and is not obnoxiously lacking in any one area.

Nice looking room you have there, any way to squeeze another set of KLF 20's or 30's for the rear ?

Are you supplementing your surround sound receiver with separate amplifiers or just using the receiver ?

I see your sub is dead and you are local, wanna hear my Tuba HT integrated into your system ? PM if interested. [Y]

• Moderators

The ultra wide angle lens she used for the photos kinda makes the room look weird

Nice looking room! If you choose to use your existing speakers, I would use the RS-42's as the side surrounds since they will receive more info than the back surrounds.Just be sure to angle them downwards or you will be missing out on a lot of surround info.

P.S. Tell your wife that although I'm a Nikon fan, the Canon 7D she is using to take pics with looks pretty sweet. [;)]

I had heard the opposite from some others. They said put the bigger speakers in the rear locations. The bigger speakers would fit way better in the back because they could actually go on a wall instead of being suspended precariously from a soffit at a weird angle to make sure they were pointed at me.

Is it a concensus that the bigger "surround-esque" speakers should go on the sides and not the rear?

Any other help on my situation?

• Moderators

Is it a concensus that the bigger "surround-esque" speakers should go on the sides and not the rear?

My suggestion for this is because the side surrounds receive more information than the back surrounds do. Because of this, it would make more sense to put your better speakers (not always meaning bigger) speakers on the side and the lesser speaker as back surrounds. Again, this is just my opinion. Others may differ.