Heritage or Current models

mcp

I've owned several pairs of Klipsch speakers over the years...KG4's, Forte II's, KG4's again, Forte I's, Heresy II's. I've been into vintage solid state gear for the past few years and had mixed results with some of the combinations.

Anyway, I'm having a Scott 222C restored and have been considering going back to Klipsch for an efficient speaker. I was looking at the current lineup tonight and was intrigued by some of the newer speakers like the WF & RF series. Should I stick to another pair of Fortes or Chorus' or are the newer models comparable?

i hope this helps. i have/have had quite a few klipsch speakers and this past weekend was comparing my 74' cornwalls to my rf-83s. i listened to each pair separately, then connected a cornwall to the left channel and one of the rf-83s to the right just out of curiosity. i think the sensitivity for these is pretty close with the cornwall being 99spl and the rf83s being 100spl. one thing i will add first though is although the cornwalls are in mint condition i have not updated the capacitors which are probably shot and i do plan to upgrade the k77's to the bob crites tweeters when i do the capacitors. that being said each speaker seems to have its advantages in sound. the rf-83s seem to be far superior in the highs and vocals though and for there price its amazing how transparent they are. even when i hook up a single rf83 in mono you can close your eyes and not know where the speaker is located along the wall in front of you...very cool. when listening to the rf83s as a pair vs the cornwalls as a pair, my first perception was that the rf83s had more bass than the cornwalls, but listening to one cornwall and one rf83 at the same time disproved this. the bass is actually about the same for each, its just the rf83s have more midrange "punch" , but its not really low bass. they have three ports in the back that give good punch when placed against a wall, but truly both the cornwalls and rf83s need a sub. all this being said, one positive that really stands out about the cornwalls is how dynamic the lower midrange is. its not punchy like the rf83s, but very wide and more pronounced. when listening to one cornwall and one rf83 at the same time, sounds like bass guitar were much more dynamic from the cornwall than with the rf-83s. it sounded as if the cornwalls were playing material that the rf-83s werent even playing in the lower midrange, i guess you could say it brought these lower midrange sounds to the front stage while the rf83s really brought the vocals out the most. i am hoping the updated crossover caps and new tweeter will bring up the highs on my cornwalls ....and although i have never heard a pair, i would imagine the cornscalas would really sound impressive and really make some improvements to the cornwalls upper mids and highs. some other things i will ads is that the rf83s are only about 10inchs wide while the cornwalls are about 3ft wide which has its advantages depending on how much space you have. either speaker is impressive and have found i enjoy more current music on the rf83s, while older material like credence, the beetles, etc sound better suited to the cornwalls. i sold a set of lascalas i had awhile back but would one day like to do a similar test vs the cornwall and rf83 with the lascala. i never got to listen to the lascalas in the new home im in but they are probably a better match to the rf83s than the cornwall. of course you can always look to the khorns but you really need to have the space and corners for those to be ideal. regards

I have had both RF83s and Cornwalls. The thing to do is buy Corwalls and fix the old innards. Dont get me wrong- The RF83 is a killer HT speaker. It matches up so well with the RC64 for HT. Maybe one of the best front 3 HT speaker combos on the planet within reason IMHO. But the Cornwall kills it in the 2 ch dept. No contest. A good set of Cornwalls is tough to beat. Look at how many people here are running them