Center Surrounds

skiingmonkey

So I've slowly been building up my HT and so far it consists of the following:

2x RF-82
2x RB-81
1x RC-64
1x RSW-10d

Took ages, but I scored the whole set for $1900 in like-new condition, which I think is great (took ages to find and haggle with folks).

They're hooked up to an emotiva XPA-5 (XPA-2 to join them), and everything is great, but I've been debating moving to 7.1, so I can either sell a pair of those OR just get the RF-83, move the RF-82's to the back and use the RB-81's as center surrounds, I'm just worried that a directional speaker for a center surround doesn't really fit. So the other option is a pair of RS-62's, but how does the 62 fair against the RB-81? Would be nice if I could just upgrade into a new set of mains preserving the rest of the speakers I have.

Welcome to the forum.

Great setup you got and at a very good price...

I think if you are currently happy with the directional speakers there isn't going to be a major difference for the 6th and 7th channel. So get the RF-83 for your front speakers and move the RF-82 to the surrounds and the RB-81 to the back surrounds.

Post some pictures when you have everything set up...

James

yes...I want to see pictures because pictures are fun[:P]

I wouldn't be too concerned over the directional/or not...thing. It depends on the room and the number of seats. If your HT has several rows of seating that's one thing, but in most situations, providing you can aim the speakers towards the primary seating, it's all good. IE..if you have the RB81's in the back and they are high up.....you'll just want to make sure you mount them aiming downward.

I've been lurking for a while trying to suck of know-how :-p. I ripped everything apart and figured now was a good time to shuffle around speakers as soon as it comes together I'll be sure to post pics, I know when I was looking for ideas pictures on forums were a big help! I guess I'm going RF-83 hunting!

• Moderators

What is the size of your room? How many rows of seating? Will the back row be away from the back wall?

I know in my setup, I have RB-35's for the back surround but they are not doing much good because they are mounted way too high in my HT due to placement limitations and my back row being very close to the back wall. If I go back to 7.1, I will likely get a pair of RS-52's for the back as I'm already using RS-52's for the side surrounds. You can see pics of my system in my signature.

For the time being (and foreseeable future) it's one row of seating. The row of seating is about 6-7 feet from the back wall, the room is slightly odd it's 25' long but it's in a bit of an L shape and for the first 8 or so feet it's 13ish feet wide and then it opens up really wide. In that first narrower section sits my 104x58 screen + mains + center, I was thinking of putting the other guys even with the 13foot wall on either side of the seating. I was going to mount the rear's just over couch level (about head level), but if I go with floor sounders it should be just about right as it is. If it's hard to visualize I can whip something up in paint or some such.

I ripped everything apart and figured now was a good time to shuffle around speakers ... I guess I'm going RF-83 hunting!

Just as there are those who feel the KLF-20's were superior to the larger 30's, there are those who think that RF-63's are superior to the larger 83's.

The owner of my local Klipsch retailer subscribes to the above.

I was one who felt the KLF-20's were superior to the 30's as I owned both. As far as the 83's vs 63's, I like the 83's better. I had my friends 63's in my house while waiting for my 83's to come in and the 83's just had more presence. The 63's are kick *** speakers but just not the same as the 83's imo.