2 input sources

captmobley

I have my Klipschorns hooked up as fronts to my home theatre but would also like to use them in a two channel system-does anyone have a recommendation for a 2 input switch that would work?

How about---http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=DPS-1&recordID=Source%20Switching%20Systems&categoryID=Switching%20Systems&catcdID=10&prdcdID=FG00003

The wire size is a bit small but I could put on pins instead of banana plugs

Any negative opinions?

Thanx

captmobley

I used one of these until I got a 2-channel preamp with HT Passthrough. Worked pretty well.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=SPK-1&recordID=Automated+Switching+Systems&categoryID=Automated+Switching+Systems&catcdID=10&prdcdID=FG00240

I plugged a 12V wall-wart in to the switched outlet on the AVR and set the 2-channel system to be the "default" connection. As soon as the AVR powered up the switch changed the speaker inputs from my tube amp over to the AVR.

They turn up from time to time on eBay at around $50. That's where I picked mine up.

I have one of those Niles boxes (the DPS 1, not the automatic one). Heck... if you're interested in it, you can have it for the price of shipping and maybe... $5.00?

I won't have a need for it again. You are right though, it is made for VERY small wires. I was able to still use it. When I removed it, I think I was unable to find my tiny screwdriver so I simply cut one inch of my wires off.

I don't know anything technical about it so would throw this out there. Are you going to use a tube amp on it? My understanding is, you don't want tube amp outputs left hanging and if you had them on one of these channels, they could possibly end up that way. (unless this has something in side of it to compenesate for that)

I have no idea if it does or not... I DID use it with tube amps and frankly, never had an issue. Might have been lucky though.

Serious offer above if you'd like it. It will help declutter my cabinet.

Thanx Coytee, I have one on the way-I made the guy a lowball offer and he took it($20)-I would think that if the switch is on leaving a clear path from a tube amp to speakers it won't be a problem-I'll make sure I turn it on before I warm up my amp.

)-I would think that if the switch is on leaving a clear path from a tube amp to speakers it won't be a problem-I'll make sure I turn it on before I warm up my amp.

Couple comments. First, I do not know if there is any issue when using this with tube amps. If there are no issues, then....there are no issues. If however, this is similar to leaving a tube amp disconnected from the speakers (when you are using the other channel) then a couple thoughts:

1. There is no "on / off" if you are talking about the same unit I have. Perhaps other units can be turned on /off but mine is simply a hard wired pass through thing.

2. If as above, yours is similar to mine and you have your selector on "A" but... turn your "B" tube amps on, then you are turning your amps on with no load attached to them. Again, I had mine attached to tube amps and during that time frame, never noticed anything negative so perhaps this is making a mountain out of a mole hill. Just trying to bring it to your attention so you'll be aware.

3. Repeating that which has been said.... the wire size on this thing sucks. It's almost like you can only attach 2 strands. I had to nip my 12g wires down to make them fit.

I think you'll like it. I enjoyed what mine allowed me to do.