New Peter Frampton album is ready to drop soon!

picky

Randy: Thanks so much for your notes and thoughts about 'Fingerprints'. I could not agree more that 'Fingerprints' is worth listening to, especially if you had "given up" on Frampton after 'Comes Alive'. I too don't really care for a lot of what Peter did after 'Comes Alive' either, so it was with great skepticism that I purchased 'Fingerprints' two years ago, after it had already been out for a year. As Randy stated, 'Fingerprints' is a richly-recorded, eclectic mix of different styles of music, textures and tempos. It's as if Frampton had cleared his mind of where he's been after all these years of performing, and is now showing us where he is right now. There are numerous contributing musicians featured on the album and the one thing that shines brightly for me, is that Frampton is without a doubt, one of the most technically astute and accomplished guitarists in the business today. This man knows his music theory as if it is second-nature. The two-guitar harmonies are amazing is the attention paid to dynamics and harmonics.

As a personal testimony to just how listenable the 'Fingerprints' album really is: While playing this album in the “background” through our Heresy III's running through tubes in our garage while sitting out on our deck with friends, I have had the most typically disinterested of listeners, tell me to please start the CD again from its beginning and this time turn it up, only to watch them actually sit there and listen closely to nearly all of the songs, while totally ignoring any conversation around them (highly uncharacteristic for these folks). In several cases, they went out a purchased the album soon after, or asked where they could get a copy. Few albums I have played have ever had such an effect on typical non-listeners. Amazing. Yet, ‘Fingerprints’ is certainly not the “end-all” guitarist’s album, nor am I attempting to say it is such.

As for 'Thank you Mr. Churchill', Frampton claims that this will be a fairly "auto-biographical piece". Frampton, who (most of you know) hails from England, thanks Sir Winston Churchill for bringing his own father back from fighting in World War II. Hence the album's title. As for the individual songs, with my not having heard any clips as of yet, I do not know what sort of music we can expect. But, after owning 'Fingerprints' and practically wearing it out from playing it so much, I do plan to listen to 'Churchill' with relish. Now, it'll be a matter of deciding CD or Vinyl...or BOTH? I think I'll listen to the CD first (cheaper) and THEN decide. :) I’d love to hear what the rest of you think about both, ‘Fingerprints’ and ‘Churchill” when it comes out. Happy listening to all! - Glenn

• 3 months later...

The follow-up to 2006's Grammy Award winning instrumental album,
'Footprints', 'Thank You Mr Churchill' is a very autobiographical
album starting with Frampton's birth after his father's return from
the Second World War, as celebrated in the title track. With other
highlights relating to his first musical experiences, his relationship
with his son and his life before and after finding sobriety as well his
take on events around the world that have affected him and his love of
Motown. As you would expect his guitar playing is exemplary, perhaps
nowhere more than on the 8 minute instrumental 'Suite Libert' which
forms the centrepiece of the album. The album includes 2 Bonus
Recordings 'I Understand' & 'A Thousand Dreams' [which do not
appear on the US edition] and features guest appearances from the Funk
Brothers on the Motown homage 'Invisible Man' and Pearl Jam
drummer Matt Cameron.

Peter Frampton Discography

I saw Frampton at Bethel Woods ("Woodstock homestead") while everybody was down in AK for the pilgrimage.

He and his band had (apparently) lost all their instruments in a flood in Nashville.

Even with the unfamiliar instruments, the concert was amazing.

It was a double bill with the YES tribute band ironically called "YES"..

Frampton wiped the floor with them.

Great concert; recommended.

N

I met bassist Stanley Sheldon in the 90's in Denver Colorado at a Tommy Bolin tribute show. He told me "I was working in Frampton's band at the time, and we made the (at that time) number one hit live album of all time. But I GOT to play on Tommy's album Teaser."

I thought Peter's last effort was nice, bought it but haven't spent much time with it. This well serve as a reminder to get that out. I remember it sounding so smooth on your Eico/Heresy III garage system!

Thanks, Michael. The garage system is where I usually play the 'Fingerprints' album so I can hear it while working in the yard or while relaxing on the deck. Because each song is unique, it makes you pay attention, without becoming intrusive. -Glenn