RF-15s vs. RB-35s

mbr311

So I was perusing ebay like usual looking for good deals and came across a pair of RF-15 that someone was selling for $349.99

Right now I have RB-35 bookshelf speakers as my mains. I know from talking with Youthman and seeing how much he was going to try to sell his RB-35s for (which he uses as his surrounds) he was going to try to get around $350 for them.

So my question is, would it actually be an upgrade to pick up the RF-15s to use as my main speakers and sell the RB-35s for around the same price so its a wash price wise? If it's not much of an upgrade then I obviously won't do it. Actually I might be answering my own question when I post up the specs for each but help me out regardless please:

RB-35s

Frequency: 45Hz-20kHz (+-3db), Power Handling 125 watts continuous (500w peak), sensitivity 96db, crossover 2350Hz, 1" titanium dome compressor driver, 6" square Tractrix horn, One 8" Cerametallic woofer

RF-15s

Frequency: 46Hz-20kHz (+-3db), Power Handling 100 watts continuous (400 watts peak), sensitivity 96db, 1" titanium dome compressor driver, 5" square Tractrix horn, Two 5.25 Cerametallic woofers

So it almost looks like the bookshelfs are better than these tower speakers. So I probably should be looking to upgrade to something like RF-52s or RF-62s right if I want to get a boost out of my mains? Just trying to save up for my next purchase, receiver first then a better set of mains. I have the receiver I want pretty much picked out just waiting for a better price on it (maybe someone around here will be getting rid of one soon hint hint lol) but I'd like to get a bit more umph out of my mains eventually. Thanks!

Mark

Mbr311,

Where are you located(city and state is fine)? We on the forum can help you reach your goal by being more sets of eyes on your local c-list and audiogon.

Stick with the RB-35's until you have the $$$ to step up to "real" towers. The smaller towers(5.25 in woofers) will not outperform the RB-35's.

Bill

Thanks guys just needed some reassurance that's all. It sounds like I need to wait to get some real tower speakers and for the time being the RB-35s are perfectly fine with my setup.

Just for reference since someone asked I live in Indianapolis. So if there's anyone local that is ever selling some great towers maybe we can work something out. Thanks!

Mark

• Moderators

I agree with the others opinions. I don't think the RF-10 would be an upgrade at all.

IMO, the RF-82's are a great speaker, paired with the RC-62 makes a sweet system. Then you could move your RB-35's to the back for surround. You can save some money if you look at older models. The RF-35 would be a great addition to your system. That way you can keep your center and move your RB-35's to the back. Use the money you saved on an entire system to buy your receiver and maybe upgrade your sub.

Well that certainly sounds like what I need to strive for in the future, so that's a good plan to put into place.

So go aftter the RF-82, the RC-62 and move the RB-35s back for the surrounds? Sounds good to me. I'll just have to keep my eyes open for people selling those pieces on this site. I'm really in no rush right now, my current setup works really well in the space I have, but once I move in a couple years to my final house/destination, I will want to upgrade everything to deal with the larger sized area.

The receiver is probably going to be the next piece of the puzzle to be honest with you, maybe as soon as I get my taxes back. I would love to get a Yamaha RX-V665 or Onkyo SR-707 they both are about $575 and seem to be pretty darned good with what I currently have and what I would need in the space I have. People have raved about those receivers as entry level ones that do a great job with HDMI upconversion. Thanks again guys, you have been so helpful I can't thank you enough. I'm so ahead of myself, I need to get my recently purchased S-1s installed and enjoy those lol look at me already talking about everything else.

Mark

• Moderators

So go aftter the RF-82, the RC-62 and move the RB-35s back for the surrounds? Sounds good to me.

Well...there isn't any one setup that is the perfect setup. You might come across a steal of a deal on any one of these systems, all of which would make fantastic systems:

RF-35 System

RF-82
System

RF-5 System

RF-7 System

The above systems are pretty much in order with the RF-7's being the top end. The RF-7's are equivalent to the current RF-83's. Definitely keep your eyes open for any of these systems at a bargain.

I'll just have to keep my eyes open for people selling those pieces on this site.

Don't forget to check your local Craigslist.com and Audiogon.com as well. My best deals have been found on CL. You need to keep looking daily and as often as you can because when a hot deal comes along, they go quick, sometimes within less than an hour of being posted.

A good tool to use is a site like www.searchtempest.com. It will allow you to search different areas of Craigslist at one time within a given radius from you. There are other sites that people use too that do the same thing.

I'm really in no rush right now

That my friend is the best place to be. Look for those deals, pounce on them and build your dream system slowly.

I just checked Amazon and the RX-V665 is even cheaper at $450. I haven't checked to see how it compares to the Onkyo 707, was just looking at price.

I have owned an Onkyo TX-DS555 (80 x 5), then an Onkyo TX-DS703 (100 x 7) and now a Yamaha RX-V1800 (130 x 7). Both the Yamaha and the Onkyo make excellent receivers. To me, Yamaha does a better job in 2ch music but both are fantastic for HT.

I'm so ahead of myself, I need to get my recently purchased S-1s installed and enjoy those lol look at me already talking about everything else.

Someone call the Doc!!!! Mark's been infected after only 34 posts!!! [:P]

As others have said.

1. Take your time

2. Buy the Best you can afford.

3. Buy in sections, no need to get it all at once (but the urge is calling )...............

4. Have fun ................if it gets to be a headache, walk away for a while.

I think from what you guys put up, the RF-35 system would be a great one to strive for. Looks like a great setup. Ah well like everyone said one step at a time, I need to get my newly purchased surrounds up and enjoy them and not worry about another purchase for awhile. I have plenty to enjoy for the time being. Thanks so much all for your help I really love this community!

Mark

• Moderators

Thanks so much all for your help I really love this community!

Be careful....before you know it you will have over 6500 posts like Bill. I think we all love it. There are truly some great guys (and ladies) in the forum that all share a passion for audio.

• Moderators

His Post count is only from 2007.....................I've been wasting time here , since 2000..............so he has me beat on Daily Post counts

Busted! I didn't even catch that. Are you trying to tell me that I need to get a life outside of the forums? [:D]