Matching up a new system

Khornfan

Hello, I am new to the forum but thought it appropriate to join since I just obtained my dream speakers, Klipschorns! After years of raising children and getting them through college, etc I am reviving my home audio interest, revamping old equipment, buying vintage equipment I have always wanted, etc. I do not have "Golden Ears" but I do love music. I won't prattle on just now, but I do have one question. I have purchased an Empire 208 turntable and I would like to hear others experience with tonearms and cartridges and also home made heavy duty plinths. I am interested in using a Technics SL-1200 tonearm as I have heard they are very user friendly and greatly under rated. Detachable headshell is desired since I also want to play my 78s.

Hello Kornfan,

I don't have much to offer in the way of tables (I just have a lower end analog front end), so I hope you don't mind me posting here. I got '65 KHorns less than a year ago, and I'm really starting to like them...a lot. I don't believe I have golden ears, sometimes believe I have average hearing at best, but like you I love to listen to music. I've had some pretty good speakers in the past (Paradigm, Logans, Maggies to name a few), but there is something about the KHorns that is really appealing to me. The immediacy, the most subtle notes being audible, the realism (How's that for prallting on). It took me some time to get them sounding right for me and for my room, so if I might give you a word of advice it would be to be patient and enjoy.

Good luck and congrats!

Sorry for the delay. I tried a reply yesterday (or was it the day before?) and it didn't work. The khorns are 1982 models with AA crossovers. I bought them on eBay from the original

owner, who lives in the country north of Kansas City. This was the first time I had

seen any for sale within reasonable driving distance (from near Oklahoma City). The

hardest part was getting uphill to the house on the muddy driveway! I

only got them re-assembled, placed in corners and hooked up a few days ago

when my son came over and helped. I was surprised that they don't seem

any more efficient than my Altec A7-500s, but the bass is better and

they are overall much smoother and more agreeable. Currently I am using a

Sony Audio/video 5.1 receiver until My Hafler DH-220 and DH-110 are

back in action (I am in the midst of complete capacitor

upgrades.) Longer term plans are to supplant the Sony PS-X70 turntable

with an Empire 208and Jelco 370 tonearm I just purchased. I will build a

substantial plinth and may machine an aluminum billet base. Also

interested in ALK crossover and would like to learn more about how

khorns respond to tube amps. I don't know if tubes are really "better"

or just "different".

• 1 month later...

You said the country north of KC, where exactly I live north of KC and haven't seen any Khorns around here. Congrats on the setup, how are you liking the Jelco tonearm, I am currently looking at one right now on the bay. I will be placing my on a Thorens td-166.

Duder

On a farm at the end of a dirt (correction, mud) road SE of Smithville. Tough to get them but they sound great and I actually think they are getting better (believe they had not been used for a while and the crossover caps may be limbered up now). Also got a BIG improvement in sound by digging out my old haflers (DH-220 and DH-110) and updating the caps. They sound way better than the consumer grade Sony 5.1 AV receiver I was relying on. Bought the cap kits from ray17760 on ebay. I think it is a result of pooge(sp?) upgrade/tweaks from the DIY crowd. Anyway, quality components, clear instructions and great folllow on support. He is in St Peters MO. With everything esle going on, I haven't yet tackled the Empire 298 and Jelco tonearm, so for now I am using the Sony PSX-70 TT with Shure V15/IV. Not bad. Two questions. I also bought a Jelco TT cable set. It has a 5 prong female connector, but there is no matching connection at the tonearm. Is there a connector available to complete this? Also, Have you heard which phono cartridges work well with this arm (Jelco 370H)??

" would like to learn more about how
khorns respond to tube amps. I don't know if tubes are really "better"
or just "different"."

The term "better" is in the ears of the beholder, but I can tell you from personal experience (and opinion) that K-horns are simply incredible with tube amps! To my ears the tubes create a smoothness of sound which can not be duplicated with solid state amplifiers. If you're not into extremely potent low bass, a triode amp would be amazing. Given the incredible efficiency of the speakers, even 1 watt per channel is more than enough unless you're into ear shattering sound pressure levels. Perhaps you can locate someone in your area who can bring over some tube amps for demo.