Yamaha RX-V665

mbr311

• Moderators

Audessey tries to set all speaker levels at the same db. Someone once told me that you should only notice your sub when it's turned off. Basically, the sub should blend with the rest of your system but when you turn if off, if you can tell there are frequencies missing, then the sub is definitely doing it's job. Before I knew this, I had my sub turned up to where I could hear it. Problem was everytime a big explosion or something loud happened, I always found myself turning to look at the sub. Yes it was loud, but it also was distracting me from the movie which is what you do not want to happen.

As far as the difference between Bitstream and Linear PCM, no difference in sound quality. With my PS3 (non slim version), it cannot send a Bitstream so I have to use Linear PCM. The only downside to using Linear PCM is that my receiver will never show Dolby TrueHD, DTS-Master etc. Bitstream is an unprocessed signal sent to the receiver, then the receiver decodes it and shows the DTS-Master or whatever codec is being used. With Linear PCM, my PS3 does the decoding so the receiver doesn't have to process the info which is why it does not show the codec on the front display.

Well that's the case now, I an only tell when its off. It definitely got a lot quieter/softer but it still hits don't get me wrong. I would just like a bit more thump to my movies and music...so I'm wondering if there's a way to adjust the sub volume/level without messing up the rest of the auto setup.

My 663 allows for manual db setting of any speaker. Your manual should have a section for adjusting manually. It will display each speakers db setting and you can adjust just those you wish. Of course I would be seated in your normal listening position for any adjustment. Just added my 2nd C7 a week ago.

Is there a gain knob on the sub? If there is, set it to the center of it's range then adjust the YAPO for movies. Now when you want extra thump, just turn the gain knob up. When you want to watch movies, adjust it back to center.

Really though, you should NOT be able to tell that there is a sub in the system, your sound should go naturaly down to the limit of the sub range, undetectable.

• Moderators

Sorry, forgot you had asked about increasing a channel. As mentioned, you should be able to adjust each channel independently without affecting the other channels. You could also increase the volume on the sub directly. Either way is fine.

Ok I just went in and manually set up my sub to be a bit louder. Not a whole lot, just bumped it up a bit. Now I have a question for you guys (probably can't answer it but I'm just looking for feedback). You think I should hold on to my RX-V520 in case I need another receiver in a different room down the road, or get rid of it? And if I get rid of it about how much could I even expect to get for it? I guess that would be the real crunch, if I could get a decent amount I'd probably sell but if not I'd probaby just keep it. Hmm tough decision. Got my surrounds today to from a fellow forum member, can't wait to get them set up this weekend.

• Moderators

You think I should hold on to my RX-V520 in case I need another receiver in a different room down the road

You are a packrat aren't you. LOL. One thing to keep in mind with electronics is that you will get more for your reciever today than you will tomorrow if you sell it. Electronics depreciate about the same rate as cars do. They drop like a rock. My projector was replaced with a new model in 1 year and the new model is $500 cheaper and has more features. That's just the way it works.

There is only one RX-V520 on Ebay with a Buy it Now of $145.00. Link and there have been zero that have been listed recently (not sure if that is 30, 60, 90 days etc).

That tells me that there isn't much of a market for that receiver and even today, might be difficult to sell. Looks like it was a budget receiver at $399 original retail, 5.1 technology, pre-hdmi etc. Not to say that it is a bad receiver, just that technology changes very rapidly.

So the question is, what would a "descent amount" be to you? What would you need to get for it for you to want to sell it. This is all the more motivation to find deals on good quality used equipment. That way, if you sell it down the road, you can get much closer to the amount you have put into it.

Congrats on the new surrounds!

Something I have advised on this board before would be to just use the old AVR as a stand alone power amp for your mains. This would help take the load off from the new AVR and will improve the quality of the sound all around. You already own the amp, why not connect it into your system and see if you like the difference.

You could always upgrade to a "proper amp" later but for NO $ spent and an improvement in the quality of the sound, how can you go wrong? Esp, when the value of the old unit is so low anyway?

Yep, if you have a PRE IN in the old amp and PRE OUT in the new one, it is as simple as connecting the OUT to the IN and then connecting the speakers to the old amp in stead of the new one. None of the buttons, knobs or doodads on the old amp will work except for the power button, that will still work LOL

If you do this, just re-run your setup YAPO after making the changes. The new AVR will make all the need adjustments and balance things out for you. Then all you need to do when watching a movie is to turn both boxes on and proceed as normal.

As I said, it may not be as sexy as a stand alone outboard amp but the price is right and you can get better sound to boot.

• 1 month later...

I also have the v665. Maybe i am just blind, but how do i switch the sound from my dvd player to use the tv speakers. I beleive this reciever has the capability to do this but maybe i am mistaken.

Basically, when my kids are watching a dvd, i'd rather not use the in wall speakers and use just the tv speakers.

Thank you in advance!

I also have the v665. Maybe i am just blind, but how do i switch the sound from my dvd player to use the tv speakers. I beleive this reciever has the capability to do this but maybe i am mistaken.

Basically, when my kids are watching a dvd, i'd rather not use the in wall speakers and use just the tv speakers.

Thank you in advance!

You know what that's a damn good question. Can't you just shut off the receiver and turn on the DVD player and the TV manually and watch it that way through the TV or does the receiver have to be on to turn the DVD player on? I don't think it has to but maybe I'm wrong. lol

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I did. I had to turn on the HDMI control option on, on my tv and my receiver and now it can play through either the tv speakers or surround speakers. It also powers on and off the tv/amp/dvd player together in this mode. For example if i select dvd on my receiver, it turns on the tv and dvd player. Pretty cool actually. Still playing around with it to figure it all out though.