5CH Stereo vs. DTS mode

CheeseHead

I think you should stay in ProLogic, I believe what everyone is saying is that the 5 Channel is not a home theatre effect but a 2 channel audio effect which if programed to use all your speakers when listening to music.

TKA

quote:

Originally posted by TKA:

I think you should stay in ProLogic, I believe what everyone is saying is that the 5 Channel is not a home theatre effect but a 2 channel audio effect which is programed to use all your speakers when listening to music.

TKA

I'm not so sure that statement is true about 5 channel mode only being a 2-channel 'effect'. I was watching Aliens in 5-channel mode and was definitely hearing sounds behind me that weren't coming out of the fronts. So there has to be more than 2 channel input to do that.

I am not sure about this but I think the processor does not just split it into 5 equal channels but filters(?) some of the sound going to the different speakers. Just a guess thought because I don't understand the Prologic and Dolby stuff at all.

TKA

Ch - (I have a Denon 3300). 5 channel stereo is for music only, not movies with Pro Logic or Dolby Digital or DTS. The Denon creates 5 channel stereo by performing processing on the 2-channel signal and sending derived channels to different speakers. Those channels do not exist in the native recording, but are "manufactured" by the Denon. So, yes, you will hear sound from the rears that you don't hear from the fronts.

Dolby Pro Logic is designed to create specific content for the center and rear channels. Audio is specifically placed in those locations by the sound engineers.

When you have your DVD player selected as the source on your Denon, set it to "auto" detect, and it will always enter the correct decoding mode (Dolby Pro, DD, DTS) depending on the source signal it hears. If you also use your DVD player for CDs, then you would also need to indicate if you want to listen in Stereo or 5-channel mode, but leave it on Auto detect.

Hope this helped more than it confused.

I had to return my dvd player(sony dvp 360) recently and play my first dvd on it since the exchange. Every time I played a movie it said 5ch stereo in the receivers display. I could not get it to say DDigital for anything. When I switched over to dts I got no sound at all. After about 10-20 minutes of going back and forth trying to figure what was going on it dawned on me I need to go in and configure the settings in my DVD players menu.(such as turn dts on!) Now everything works as it should. I suspect you need to do the same thing...

CheeseHead/Steve P:

Something not mentioned in this thread was the selection in the Denon's menu of the DVD being the optical connection. Does that make sense? I don't have my 3300 manual in front of me, but there's a screen in the Denon's menu where the various inputs are selected as to what type the inputs are. In my system, my DVD is identified as the optical connection. Anyhow, I hope this didn't muddy the waters.

Tom Adams

my understanding on the denon "5 channel stereo mode" is that it's great for a 2 channel analog (music) cd in that it's dsp doesn't add effects, reverb, etc. iow, the left front & rear & right front & rear speakers can get the same respective full range natural signals whereas only the center speaker signal is processed by the dsp for a matrixed blend of both the L&R signal, but still w/ no effects, reverb, etc (which may explain a louder center channel from a 5.1 source - not good).

so it's an enhancement for 2 channel sources compared w/ my sorry sony model or others where the effects processors are not so bypassed in the circuitry (& I don't get the matrixed center either frown.gif

for ht, most want those dsp effects (delay, etc.) for their 5.1 (or more) channel movies.

so when the auto function detects a DD 5.1 dvd & you have the mode set to "5 channel stereo" sure you'll get 5.1 different channel

signals from your 5.1 different speakers,

but u won't get the effects u might prefer from HT modes (not sure exactly what they're called on the denon, THX? Surround?).

so, in short just use the "5 channel stereo" for two channel analog sources (like a CD).

- 5 channel stereo w/ a CD is an enhancement - the same w/ a digital source like a dvd can be a disenhancement (unless of course u have added equipment), or, you're missing out on the effects - whichever way u want to look at it.

oh & as some u guys said, u have to enable the dvdp for dolby & dts, or no auto function will detect a 5.1 channel signal that's not there.

sorry for repeating anything you or I said, but baring schematic detail, is this generally a correct summary? smile.gif

hope so, caus it IS miller/bud time!

(& looking at pictures of denons time) biggrin.gif

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

Thanks guys, 5-Channel/DD/DTS issue resolved. I just posted a new question regarding what you just brought up about the On-Screen menu where you select the inputs. Please refer to the new post for a complete description of my new problem! Thanks again!

~Cheez

oh man i love dts and dolby digital and everything...lol even pro logic surround!!

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears

adcom 545 amp driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!