Bi-amping, bi-wiring, etc... (aka beating a dead horse)

jrod

Okay, I'm sorry, I just have to be 100% sure this won't make much, if any, difference. I'll be receiving, and setting up, my Outlaw 750 tomorrow (woohoo!!).

Here is my question... It's a five channel amp, I'm leaving the Integra to handle the surrounds. I'm only running 5.1 and plan on leaving it that way for quite some time. Therefore, I have 2 free channels on the Outlaw... I read on the Outlaw forum of someone splitting the signal ("R" front and "L" front) from their pre with a Y splitter, then connecting each end of the Y to a seperate channel on the amp.

Thus, the R Front and L Front each had 2 channels of the amp going into them (one HF and one LF, obviously). The other channel of the 5 channel amp went to the center.

So, would this be:

A) beneficial?

B) waste of time/money?

I only ask this because I thought it might be different than just using the 2 left over channels (rear surrounds) of an AVR to bi-wire/bi-amp.

Thank guys,

Jrod

• Like 1

• Moderators

Okay, I'm sorry, I just have to be 100% sure this won't make much, if any, difference. I'll be receiving, and setting up, my Outlaw 750 tomorrow (woohoo!!).

Congrats on the new toys! This is a debated subject but in my personal experience, I bi-amped my RF-83's using my receiver's rear channels (ability the Yamaha has using the unused channels). I heard absolutely 0% improvement by doing so. From what I've read, the reason this doesn't affect the sound is because you are using the internal crossovers to the speakers. The only way to truly benefit from this is to bypass the internal crossovers in your speakers and use an active crossover.

Congrats on the new toys! This is a debated subject but in my personal experience, I bi-amped my RF-83's using my receiver's rear channels (ability the Yamaha has using the unused channels). I heard absolutely 0% improvement by doing so. From what I've read, the reason this doesn't affect the sound is because you are using the internal crossovers to the speakers. The only way to truly benefit from this is to bypass the internal crossovers in your speakers and use an active crossover.

Did the yamaha receiver not offer any type of built in crossover option for the bi-wiring ?

It seems kind of silly to offer the option to bi-wire without it.

Maybe a stupid question but i have not bought a new receiver for 20 years or so and stuff changes so fast, and may i add not always for the better in some cases.

Youth,

Thanks! I'm really excited! What you said is mainly what I've heard/read about bi-amping/wiring. I was just curious if the 165w (real watts) X 2 would make a difference. It's different with adding a surround channel on my Integra (rated at 100w/channel, which it probably isn't), I didn't hear much of a change.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Did the yamaha receiver not offer any type of built in crossover option for the bi-wiring ?

Not that I remember. I believe it just had an option to use the surround back channels to biamp the front speakers.

I bi-wire and bi-amped with my Yamaha and I had alot of fun doing it. At first I thought I could hear a difference but it was all in my head. I think changing the spark plugs in my lawn mower did about as much good.

It is fun trying. You might not be satisfied until you do.

i bi-amped my Emotiva LPA-1. i had it set up that way for a little while. from the reviews i read if you try to bi-amp an AVR, there is no difference. i didn't read one review that stated anything other than that.

bi-amping a dedicated amp, well that one gets mixed results. if you use a good Y cable, have good speaker wire (12 awg copper), have some really clear speakers (Klipsch....duh), you may hear a slight difference.

i had all those items and when i un bi-amped i really didn't notice a difference. about all i could tell is the speakers didn't seem as loud, so i had to turn the volume up just a touch. the biggest difference i had was in the settings. when i balanced out my system, the mains were around -6db, and my center was at +4db. i never really cared or paid attention to that, but when i un bi-amped all my speakers were around -6db. i don't know what that really translates too, maybe that was the difference i heard, the center channel being more balanced, but i certainly didn't notice any "improvement."

no problem! take care and rock on!

(hhhmmm, maybe that's why my Y cable isn't selling in the garage section......)

oh wait......uuuhhhmmm.....it makes a world of difference! it's, it's, better......yeah.....better. couldn't live with out it! uuuummmm, it's awesome!

lol! j/k! lol!