Marantz 2200 seris receivers - worth it?

Yura

Hey guys,

I've recently noticed that from time to time Marantz 2200 series receivers come up for sale locally and wanted to ask if they are good? I would pair them either with RF62s or RB-3s (Depending on where i put the setup).

Is it worth buying an early 1970s Marantz receiver like 2270 or 2245?

Thanks all,

Yura,

I may be biased but I think vintage Marantz(22XX and 23XX) and vintage Klipsch were designed to go together. One sweet sounding combination with any of the Heritage series(original and extended). As far as vintage Marantz and reference series Klipsch, I can't say. One thing I do know is if these receivers do not have enough current to run the RF's, just add an outboard amp. The preamp sections are great. I added a pair of Marantz monoblocks to my 2252B to power my Quartet's and/or Heresy's and the signature Marantz sound was retained with more punch and better seperation and of course headroom.

I would not hesitate to buy another one if the price is right.

Plenty of vintage Marantz/Klipsch fans on the forum who should respond.

Bill

What about smaller speakers like the RB-3s?

Yura,

How could I have forgotten. I did try the 2252B/monoblock combo with my RB-5's and was just as impressed. If I did not know it, I would have thought the RB-5's were 3 way bookshelf speakers. The Marantz really smoothed out the mids and added a ton of bass for such a small cabinet.

Bill

I would say as long as it is in good condition and everything is working properly go for it. I have a Marantz 2226B and have used it with my RB-61's and it sounded great. You dont "have" to use an external amp to drive your speakers, espically if you find a 2245 or 2270. If they are in good condition they should be able to drive almost and Klipsch speaker properly. I have also used my 2226B with my KG4's, which are 4ohm and it did just fine. Good luck with your search.

So one would need an additional amp to go with the receiver? I thought these guys were conservatively rated and could push the two channels quitewell

I am not saying that you need an external amp, but if you feel that the amps in the receivers do not provide enough headroom for your Ref. speakers, then by all means add one. My point is that the preamp section is awesome. When I added the Marantz monoblocks all it did was enhance what the vintage Marantz receivers already do very well.

Bill

I've pushed my RF-82 with 3 different vintage Marantz setups.

3250B/170DC/2110 Sounds great, the 170DC has been re-capped. Has a nice warm and full sound

2252B No mods or re-cap sounded very good but slightly bright for a Marantz

2015 OUTSTANDING! only 15 wpc but by far the warmest and most tube like sound of them all. No mods or re-cap on this either. My Fav!

Here is where I get beat on by everybody, wait for it, wait for it.....

I had the 2252B and the 2015 hooked up to my Heresys. After I hooked it up the the RF-82 I sold the Heresys there was no need for them anymore. The 82's sound much better.

Hope my 2 cents helped.

Thanks,

Rocko

I had the 2252B and the 2015 hooked up to my Heresys. After I hooked it up the the RF-82 I sold the Heresys there was no need for them anymore. The 82's sound much better

I believe it.......but how old were the Heresys? Were they refreshed in any way or were they stock?

• 3 weeks later...

hey

iv been in that league too.i have a marantz 2230 recently bought (1 month or so ) and coupled it with my RF3s.

the result was lovely.

under rated 30 watts or wotever marantz said about them back then,these take my speakers wch are 98db,to very high levels without sweating.

however the 2230 also drove a pair of my technics bookshelf speakers 86db, to room filling levels at 11 oclock volume knob position,no problem.

and the sound is very soft and mellowy.thats y i bought em.

i also used the pre amp section of my 2230 and coupled my quad 303 power amp (45w).

the mellow sound persists .the power remain the same , but the separation and highs got 20 percent better .

no doubt quad 303 is still a better amp.

but i think u should not decline any 22xx marantz if its in a"just plug in and play" state .

i am now looking forward to buying a higher model, like 2325 or 2285.

just to keep it in my collection and enjoy musical delight , the marantz is known for !!!!

adios

I'm glad to say that I've just obtained 2238B (silver face) in an excellent condition! Now i need to find or make a wood case for it to give it more of that retro look. Hooked up to RB3s and it's loud and clear!

Yura,

Great find. Now for the photos. Glad to see it blends well with the RB3's.

Bill