Stuck with RSX-4's for 7.1 rears....how will they sound with RF-82's, RC-62 and RS-25's

8watt300b

8watt300b,

Welcome to the forum. I used a pair of RSX-4's as side surrounds(5.1) with the RF-63/RC-64 combo for close to two years and they worked just fine. Not a perfect match but worked out okay. I just upgraded to a pair of RS-35's two weeks ago. I originally used them with my RVX-42 setup(moved to bedroom) and just kept them in use when I bought the RF-63's. Now they are back in duty with the 42's in the bedroom.

Your post does not distinguish which speakers they were suppose to be. You typed the same speakers in both sentences.

What are you using as side surrounds?

Bill

I bought a set of speakers being advertised as RSX-4's and had a friend pick them up 3.5 hours away. They ended up being RSX-4's and I'm now stuck with them.

[

Were you hoping they'd be Klipschorns? [;)]

They won't sound quite as dynamic as the rest of your speakers but they are Klipsch Reference so they won't sound terrible either.

Hi Bill, Thanks for the reply. The sale was supposed to be for a set of RSX-5's.

From what you've said, all is not lost. So I'll give them a try.

Are you running 7.1? What would you suggest I run the configuration as:

RSX-4's as side surrounds or rears? RS-25's as side or rears?

I haven't run 7.1 yet so don't know which channels will provide the most output.

I've been using a set of KSF-S5's as surrounds but bought the RS-25's and RSX speaks to both replace the KSF-25's and go all Reference. That is another option rather than selling the KSF-S5's I can use them and the RS-25's for the side/rear channels.

The thought process I had was that the RSX-5's that I was supposed to be getting would match to the RS-25's and in actually recieving the RSX-4's I was pretty disapointed.

I had to crank the amp up 6 points to get decent sound out of the KSF-S5's and so I was thinking the "all reference" would work best.

Anybody have thoughts on the KSF-S5's rather than the RSX-4's in the system?

I would run the RSX-4's as rears and let the RS-25's handle side duty. Truthfully, you might not feel you are missing anything until you upgrade again. Without a doubt, my new RS-35's are superior to the RSX-4's in bass response and clearity. I knew I would eventually upgrade the surrounds but for the moment I felt it was not necessary. I thought it was more important to build my system in other areas like center channel and subwoofer before replacing the surrounds.

Bill

Thanks for the input guys.

I started with RB-61's/RC-52 and built it up to the RF-82/RC-64 so now surrounds are my priority.

I have a very awkward room to work with so until I build my house I'm simply making the best of the space I have and building my AV gear.

I have all intentions of watching for great deals on a pair or two of RS-52's but until they "jump out at me" the rears I have will work.

It's movie time....! [:D]