DVD players...does anyone own with......

Mikekid

Goodmorning...

I am going to upgrade my DVD player and am looking for a GOOD one that includes DVDa and SACD and bass management capability. Does one like this even exist that doesn't cost as much as a house?? It does not have to have an onboard DD/DTS decoder as my receiver does this. If anyone here owns or has heard of one like this coming out soon ...please let me know.

Thanks a lot!

Mike (The Yamaha Underdog)

Yeah, me too, my Toshiba 3109 is freezing up almost non-stop now.

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

mike, all sacd & dvd-a do have to have their own outboard decoders as these formats currently aren't allowed to go thru the digital connect (copyright protection stuff).

at least until they come out w/ a new universal standard.

i've seen a new denon that has dvd-a bass mgmt but yea it was kinda pricey & it didn't also have sacd.

i'm still holdin off myself. good luck.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

Chris, you should try the awesome Steve Morse Sampler #2 on the CR private label... it's cool enough for my Toshiba 6200 progressive scan. I'd tell you where you could find one... but mine came as an unsolicited and most appreciated gift from a friend.

The war between SACD and DVD-A has yet to find a truce in a single DVD player... as far as I know. I expect that the DVD picture will be clearer before the year is out. -HornEd

In the latest Home Theater mag, they reviewed the Apex AD-7701 DVD-Audio/SACD player. I believe this a progressive scan player as well and sells for $349. It only scored a 79 for Performance but they had a number of problems with the player. I just kind of browsed thru it but it seems they were pretty impressed with it. For now, I will just stick with DVD-A and see how it all shakes out...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Ed, tried 4 times to reply to your email a few minutes ago ... Sent back 4 times Frown.gif Here's what I sent!

-----------------------------------

Hey, great photo! I think your hat is a classic! Love it. And your mom looks great. It was a different photo too.

Glad you got the sampler and am enjoying it. I've been poking around on the board but missed your post ... my boo-boo Smile.gif

I tried to toss some different stuff on the last sampler. He experiments so much with technique and tone; some, of course, appeals to me more than others, but I just think it's great that he tries at all. And he is a wonderfully nice human being on top of it. To listen to him speak (damn, where IS that instructional video?) and talk about technique -- just blows me out of the water. I've played guitar for 40 years and can hold my own with a lot of folks ... but I just drool and laugh when I watch him.

Only other guy who is even close to being in his league is Leo Kottke, who I first heard when I was 14 years old. Whoa. Totally different kind of guitar style (American fingerstyle) but he was the first guy I ever heard whose thumb wasn't banging out 4/4 like a machine. I went back to the store for that 4th pick after I heard him (I was weaned on the 5-string banjo and didn't pick with my righthand ring finger). If you've never heard him, I'll put together a sampler (uh oh, here we go again) ... something I've been meaning to do for myself for about 3 years. His early stuff is my favorite (Greenhouse and My Feet Are Smiling just kick boooo-tocks).

Got to run. Thanks for chiming in and keep the faith Smile.gif

------------------

If you don't like what is coming out, you wouldn't like what is going in." -PWK-

---------------------

TWO-CHANNEL SYSTEM

AES AE-25 "Superamp"

AES AE-3 Pre-amp

New Tube 4000 CD Player

1976 Klipschorns (ALK'ed)

HOME THEATER

Klipsch 1968 ALK Cornwall "II"s (LF/RF)

ALK Belle Klipsch (Center)

Klipsch Heresy (RR/LR)

Klipsch KSW-12 sub

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Cornwalls)

Sonic Frontiers Anthem AMP1 (driving Heresy's)

Denon AVR-4800

Toshiba SD-3109 DVD

This message has been edited by Chris Robinson on 03-21-2002 at 04:10 PM

Chris, if you think I would turn down any sampler from you... after what you have already put together... twice over... it's "Share the Bliss, Chris" from here on out! Leo Kottke is an old favorite of my guitar playing son and I... I think he "pre-inherited" most of my Kottke, so, INDEED, a sampler would be most welcome.

As I am banging this out Smash.gif I am listening to "Deep Purple" in concert with The London Symphony Orchestra (ID9610ERDVD)recorded in Royal Albert Hall in 1999. You probably have the DVD in your collection... it's two hours that starts with "Pictures Within" puts its middle into a concerto (or three) and ends up with Steve pounding "Smoke on the Water." Dave LaRue and Van Romaine are showcased nicely as well.

This "Deep Purple" is one of the better amalgamations of group, band, & orchestra in recent memory... due in great part to the superior musicianship all around, IMHO. -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 03-21-2002 at 08:40 PM

Pioneer have launched a model in Europe and Japan that must be iminent for the US too. It does DVD, DVDa, SACD, HDCD, CDR, CDRW and god only knows what else.

I have heard it is an excellent DVD and DVDa player but only moderate at SACD.

Unfortunately I do not know the model number for the US.

As an alternative the Sony NS900 (now 905?) does everything except DVDa and does it very well.

------------------

2 * Heresy 2 (mains)

2 * Homemade horn speakers (rears)

1 * REL Strata 3 sub

Accuphase E211 amp.

Tube monoblocks with separate pre-amp (DECWARE ZTPRE with separate beefed up PSU)

Marantz CD6000 player

Sony NS900 SACD/DVD player

Stax Headphones (on loan to a friend)

Humax 5400 digital satellite receiver

Sharp Video

32" Sony flat screen 16:9 TV

Mogami interconnects

Silver Synergistic speaker cable

Pioneer has two models in their Elite series that might do what you what. They are the DV-38A and DV-47A. Both are progressive scan players that can do a wide varity of formats and discs including DVD-A. Both are expensive (above $1000)

Additionally :

the 38A does 2 channel SCAD but I believe that it does have on board bass management.

the 47A does multichannel SCAD but with no bass management.

Depending on who you listen to these players are either awesome or they suck. Go figureSmile.gif They are listed on the Pioneer web site if you need more information. I keep hoping that we will reach audio bliss but it appears that we are not quite there yet. I you need bass management on the 5.1 analog inputs you can always get an Outlaw ICBM which is very flexible in redirecting bass for the analog inputs.

Personally I am torn between getting something "right now" and waiting 9 months or so for this all to get straightened out. It is rumored that the next generation of players will have bass management on board.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

...wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world...

My Home Theater Page

My Panasonic RP 91 got backordered so i will not get it until next week.

At $ 480 I think it is a real sound unit for video and a good expeiment in DVD Audio.

From what I read in the "Perfect Vision", Audio Review.com and of course Mike Lindsey's endorsement; I decided to give it a try.

Mickey Hart and Neil Young, a couple of musicians I respect, have come out strongly on the side of DVD A.

No one who is a musician I am really crazy about has come out on the side of SACD. SACD seems to be mostly endorsed by TAS, Stereophile and people into Classical music exclusively.

Sony being so immersed in both the software and hardware technology of SACD makes me uncomforatable. I am not totally down on Sony; I own Sony software, a 27 in Trinitron, old DVP S530 D DVD player and the kids CD stuff.

It just seems like SACD is similar to Microsoft Windows; the core of the technology is ulta proprietary.

I think I'll wait a bit longer before I buy now.

You would think the major electonic co.'s would have either sh.. or have gotton off the pot by now!

Both formats with bass management at a reasonable price can't be that difficult can it?

Maybe I'm wrong.................

Thanks for the replies!!

Mike