Best Speakers for Jolida 202a ---- RB-61's, 51's, Forte ?????

bblocker

I'm purchasing my boss's stock Jolida 202a for $200. I feel like it's a hell of a score. Now I need to find speakers.

I'll mainly be listening to vinyl. I have my Techniques SL 220 run through a NAD PP-2. I tend to listen to a lot of acoustic music. Lots of old country and western (Merl Haggard, WIllie Nelson, Johnny Cash, etc.). I also play a good deal of Beatles, Black Crowes, Drive By Truckers, and that type of southern rock. I listen to a little jazz, but mostly the acoustic and southern thing.

I've always loved the bright sound of Klipsch and the unique sound of the horns. I have heard they round out the warmth of tubes really well. I had been looking at a new set of RB-61 or RB-51's. I also found a deal on pair of Synergy F2's. I initially went this route because I had heard smaller speakers like these would do well with the 40-watt Jolida. I know all of the Klipsch speakers will provide the high sensitivity I need to push sound from the small tube amp. So are any of these worth it?

I found a pair of Forte's on Craigslist for $400. From what I've read this may be the way to go. Are the Fortes that much better that I should go for a speaker from 1987 over a brand new one. The guy tells me he's the original owner, non-smoker, and that he's never really pushed them too hard. They look to be in great shape.

What's the obvious way to go?

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks.

• Moderators

Welcome, the fortes are a god bit bigger than the RB-61 or the 51's. If that is not a problem I would definitely get the Forte. Any of them will do fine with 40 watts but if it were my choice it would be an easy one, fortes.

That setup should sound great, you will look like this ! [:D]

• Moderators

Thank you dtel! Any advice (other than sound) on how to inspect them when I look tonight? i.e. Do the surrounds wear out and need replacing? Etc. I will obviously go by ear first and foremost.

No problem with klipsch surrounds needing replacement, I have three pair of fortes and all the surrounds are all perfect and I have not see any problems like that on any Klipsch models.

I would just put my ear up to each driver to make sure there working, besides that I can't think of anything that could give you a problem. If there is a problem with a driver there are parts to be had to fix them at fair prices, the passive radiator on the back is about the only thing that would be hard to find.

Your going to love them, especially with your equipment.

Thank you all for the advice.

I ended up picking up the Fortes for a mere $350! They're in perfect shape and I couldn't be happier.

My only question is this: The highs seem a bit hot or harsh. I've played with placement and got the speakers in the corners just right for the perfect balance of bass. I'm just wondering if there are any tricks to smooth out the highs a little bit. Anyone know of any tricks?

That's a really picky issue. Don't get me wrong. This setup is killer!! I love the warmth of the tubes pushing through these big Fortes. I also love that I only have a turntable hooked up. No iPod BS or anything like that. Just the crackle of vinyl filling up the room.

Thanks again!

• Moderators

Good deal

I am not sure what you could do about the highs, I am 52 and I am sure I am missing some of the highs already, I wouldn't want to turn down mine, but it could be my ears.

I would say probably just listen for a while and get more use to them, the only thing I could think of would be possibly change out the caps on the crossovers to get them closer to how they were designed. Caps do change with age and that could help, I have not done mine but I have alot of other speakers with a bunch of changes I want to make and can only do a little here and there $.

Any time you are listening to a new speaker it takes a while to really hear all the differences, get use to the sound and then try to adjust, many times it's just things you couldn't hear with previous speakers, every one is different....? just a guess [A]

EDIT.....I was just reading this, NOT that I am saying start changing out parts yet, just so you can get an idea what other are doing and thinking.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/130168.aspx

Thank you all for the advice.

I ended up picking up the Fortes for a mere $350! They're in perfect shape and I couldn't be happier.

My only question is this: The highs seem a bit hot or harsh. I've played with placement and got the speakers in the corners just right for the perfect balance of bass. I'm just wondering if there are any tricks to smooth out the highs a little bit. Anyone know of any tricks?

That's a really picky issue. Don't get me wrong. This setup is killer!! I love the warmth of the tubes pushing through these big Fortes. I also love that I only have a turntable hooked up. No iPod BS or anything like that. Just the crackle of vinyl filling up the room.

Thanks again!

Did you have the treble issue with the Jolida with other speakers before the Fortes? Do both speakers have the same problem? Do you have another amp you could hook to the Fortes to see if it's the Jolida? What tubes are in the Jolida and how old are they?

I was using some older Infinity Reference series. I didn't notice it before, but I think I was just missing out ... After a good about 5 hours of listening to various records this evening, I've decided the highs are just fine! I think I just wasn't use to such clear, uninhibited sound.

Sure, the highs are harsh now and then, but I think that's more of an indication of poorly recorded music. Many of my records with a good quality recording just sound beautiful. I think the old audiophile catch 22 is completely true. The better components you have, the more you notice the short-comings of some recordings. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Sure, it stinks when you just want to hear a song, but it's a poor recording. The flip side is that a well made record just sings with this setup.

Considering I grabbed Jolida for $200 and the Fortes for $350, I feel like I stole the whole setup. I could have plunked down $3k at my local hi-fi shop and I wouldn't be this happy.

• Moderators

I could have plunked down $3k at my local hi-fi shop and I wouldn't be this happy.

Your exactly right.

I am glad it's sounding better, that's one of the reasons I wanted you to give them some more listening before doing anything, also to me and any others Klipsch has that live sound which is a little more lively.

I was using some older Infinity Reference series. I didn't notice it before, but I think I was just missing out ... After a good about 5 hours of listening to various records this evening, I've decided the highs are just fine! I think I just wasn't use to such clear, uninhibited sound.

Sure, the highs are harsh now and then, but I think that's more of an indication of poorly recorded music. Many of my records with a good quality recording just sound beautiful. I think the old audiophile catch 22 is completely true. The better components you have, the more you notice the short-comings of some recordings. That's not necessarily a bad thing. Sure, it stinks when you just want to hear a song, but it's a poor recording. The flip side is that a well made record just sings with this setup.

Considering I grabbed Jolida for $200 and the Fortes for $350, I feel like I stole the whole setup. I could have plunked down $3k at my local hi-fi shop and I wouldn't be this happy.

I agree with you 100%