Herseies or RB-81's?

Are

Hi,

I'm planing on getting new speakers for my stereo setup, I've narrowed it down to two speakers; the Heresies and RB-81

I listen to about 75% rock in all kinds, and 25% crap (other music, movies, games etc..), and the room is quite small

Which one will fulfill my needs? My plan is to build a Dynaco ST-70 to run the speakers. I will try to audition the speakers, but first I want to know what you guys think :)

Appreciate also other alternatives as long they're not more expensive than the heresies (or very large in size)

Are,

Welcome to the forum. With only five posts you still deserve a welcome.

While the RB-81's are very dynamic and offer very good bass extension for a bookshelf speaker, in comparison to the Heresy's, the mid and high detail fall a little short. While the bass is stronger with the RB-81's, the horn can't reproduce the seperation that the Heresy's do. If you listen to mostly rock and are not adding a subwoofer, the RB-81's with fit the bill. If you want the better detail and seperation, get the Heresy's and a sub to fill the gap down low. The Dynaco might better match the Heresy's also.

Bill

What Bill said…..and here's my take....

For 2-channel music I would definitely go with the Heresy. The 3-way design of the Heresy allows it to be more musical than any of the Reference series IMO. They are very easy to drive and they sound marvelous with my 2A3 amps. Horns love tubes, and all Klipsch speakers love quality amps no matter the topology.

For other options, look at the extended Heritage series; the Forte, Chorus, etc. lines. Very similar footprint than Heresy only taller.

Rick

Are,

Welcome to the forum. With only five posts you still deserve a welcome.

While the RB-81's are very dynamic and offer very good bass extension for a bookshelf speaker, in comparison to the Heresy's, the mid and high detail fall a little short. While the bass is stronger with the RB-81's, the horn can't reproduce the seperation that the Heresy's do. If you listen to mostly rock and are not adding a subwoofer, the RB-81's with fit the bill. If you want the better detail and seperation, get the Heresy's and a sub to fill the gap down low. The Dynaco might better match the Heresy's also.

Bill

I currently own a subwoofer, so the bass will not be a problem. But I've heard the Heresies can be a little bit intense in the high frequencies, and that is some thing that I really dislike. How is the RB-81's on that?

What Bill said…..and here's my take....

For 2-channel music I would definitely go with the Heresy. The 3-way design of the Heresy allows it to be more musical than any of the Reference series IMO. They are very easy to drive and they sound marvelous with my 2A3 amps. Horns love tubes, and all Klipsch speakers love quality amps no matter the topology.

For other options, look at the extended Heritage series; the Forte, Chorus, etc. lines. Very similar footprint than Heresy only taller.

Rick

In comparison how are the Heresies compared to Forte and Chorus?

Like $1500, something, not higher..

For that price you can get Cornwalls but the size would be the down fall...

Where are you located? Maybe forum members can invite you over to take a listen to their systems so you can take your favorite music to see how it sounds.

Good luck on your search.

James

Given your price range, you could buy the heresies several times over. They should run in the $400 - 500 range. Not bad to experiment with and see if you like them. If you want to pay $1500 for a pair of Heresys, then I have a pair. lol

The subwoofer will make the Heresys sound a lot better with the ability to go low.