Vintage Pioneer FM/AM Receiver

Yura

Hey guys,

I've been hunting after a Marantz 2200 series receiver, but not seeing any deals out there. So at the end i've picked up an old Pioneer SX-737 FM/AM receiver. I haven't hooked it up yet, but it looks nice - brushed aluminum and wood veneer cabinet. Now i have to find a place for it in my room and for the speakers.

pioneer1.jpg?o=1pioneer1.jpg?o=1pioneer1.jpg

Looking good. I have one of these myself, its currently powering a couple of Klipsch PC speakers on the son's Mac Mini. In a couple of ice cream seasons, when he can take care of them, I will move it on to my first Klipsch purchase the Quartets.

Thanks guys,

I plan on picking up a vintage Marantz if the right one comes around. But for now I will be playing with this thing. So far I'm thinking on what to pair it up with - RF-7, RF-62, RB3

Will need to hook it up and see how this thing sounds :)

So far I'm thinking on what to pair it up with - RF-7, RF-62, RB3

Will need to hook it up and see how this thing sounds :)

Yura,

I would skip the RF-7's and try it out with the RB3's. The RF-7 just might be too much speaker for your Pioneer to drive. I know it is old school wattage but 35w/ch into 8ohms/40w/ch into 4ohms may not have enough ooomph to do the job properly. It may not hurt to try it but keep the decibels to a minimum.

Bill

How do you like your Marantz?

By far the best sounding setup in my house. Even after using it as a preamp with an outboard amp(Marantz or Acurus), the classic vintage Marantz "warmth" still comes through just with more authority. My Quartets and Heresy's really sing. My RB-5's have sounded their best hooked up to the 2252B.

Bill

So I've just hooked it up to the speakers and found out that the receiver is not 100% perfect :) But that's expected givin it's age and price. It looks like i will need to clean/lube as well as possibly replace a few caps, one bulb and whatever else that comes up.

One thing i have no idea about is what kind of antena to use with this receiver as it's FM connector is either for a single COAX cable or for TWO small cables pinched by the terminals. This is quite different from the modern receivers that use a single thin wire for FM reception.