Anybody added a tweeter to a Lascala?

billybobg

I'm building a center channel shortened Lascala. In order to shorten the speaker, one step to shortening is to move the tweeter to the side of the squawker. I've thought of adding a second tweeter to have one on each side of the squawker. I have a AA crossover to drive them.

My question is: Can I run them both off the crossover in parallel or series? Seems that is series they would carry the same current and therefore be balance, but the 12 plus ohms may prevent sufficient current to drive the tweeters and in parellel they may pull too much current. What other aspects am I not considering.

Your inputs are appreciated.

I'm building a center channel shortened Lascala

After that other thread, I guess I'm going to have to hire you! [;)]

One thing that I'm going to do in my situation is remove a driver and take mine to a 2-way speaker. That will help with some of the height issues. I don't know your circumstances but since reading and research are free, you might get a kick out of doing a search on "JubeScala". I'm going this way to better timbre match my two main speakers however, even if that were not the case, having heard the LaScala in this format, I felt it sounded noticably better than a stock LaScala.

Well I do like to pretend I know how to use the tools in my garage. Some stuff works, some not[:S] Life is always an experiment on some level.

The ONLY reason I even consider of moding a LaScala is the height issue for use as a center channel. My ear is not as decerning as others, so unless there is an obvious issue when I get it finished and pluged in I will probably be happy. However, I still would like to hear from others on the subject of two tweeters.

Two tweeters would cause more problems than they would solve. Any time you have two sound sources producing the same sound and separated by more than a wavelength, lobing and comb filtering will result. Can you put the tweeter inside the bass horn's mouth, just to the side of the doghouse peak? Or move the mid horn off center and mount the tweeter vertically to the side of it?

Makes sense. Moving the tweeter to the side and vertical has been my plan. Being new, I appreciate you pointing out the shortfalls of adding the second tweeter. I'll probably go with one on the side. Just had one of those moments where 'two must be better than one'.