Recommendations wanted for 12" sub. Used and mid priced. Matching to an RC3, RB5 front stage

Fast1

I am selling some of my equipment to a guy and he will need a sub. I run a big *** Velodyne but I remember the small Velodynes not putting much down. I am sure the HGS will but that will cost more than he wants to spend. Probably 400 tops for this one. Pretty low level listening. What should I be looking for? Remember used... I was thinking Sunfire, Klipsch K series, "maybe" Velodyne. The room is big so I am concerned about filling it. I also have a hard time buying a "Jensen" wallie world special....

After doing a small amount of looking, I am very tempted to double down on shopping for DLS4000R. Reason is my brother runs the 5000 unit and I am nothing but amazed. my HGS18 can beat it but not by much!! It is a pretty impressive sub, that is for sure! I would compare this to a Klipsch RSW12. I have honestly not hear a KLipsch sub in an installation for for an opinion. Can someone comment here?

what kind of space are you refereing to?

I have owned just about every klipsch sub at one time or another (well alot of them at least), and here is what I would suggest, my room is 12x14 approx, I really liked the dual sub 10's, great overall sound for both movies and music, decided that I wanted more boom to my bass and went to a single sub 12, I bought used on CL and worked when I got it, but only lasted for about 3 months, I think it had some really hard times prior to my buying it. I then decided to buy a new RW-12D and really that rocked my room, great for both movies and music, I really liked the the ability to adjust settings.

So in my location, a couple of sub 10's approx 400.00 on CL, the sub 12 I got for about 300.00 on CL, new RW-12D I think was 700.00 or so, IMHO any of these options would serve anyone well. I know there are a lot of good subs out there but have always been partial to Klipsch up untill recently. I decided to get the KA-1000-THX sub amp and dual Rockforf Fosgate T1 15" subs (4ohm setup) couple of custom tuned boxes and a heavy duty kidney belt, nothing I have heard comes close, all movies have a new perspective at that level of bass.

~ross

I am strongly looking at either the RW12D or the DLS4000 Velodyne. My brother runs the DLS5000 and I am damn impressed with it!! One advantage I see on the Velodyne is the remote that comes in handy at times. I am also wondering how they would compare sonically. My HGS18 is VERY seemless with my 7s so I still love some of the Velodynes. I will admit that I have not rocked on a Klipsch so no idea how they compare. I would really like to put them side by side.

Keeping in mind the budget on this build...

I haven't had the oppertunity to hear a Velodyme myself either, I have heard lots of good praise on the forum though, really I think it will come down to what you can get for a good price. IMO can't go wrong with either sub. [Y]

Good Luck

~ ross

• Moderators

The Velodynes new are pretty costly but you can find some very affordable deals in the used market. I picked my Velodyne HGS15 up for $200 on Craigslist. I would love to pick up a brother for him but I highly doubt I will ever find another near that price again.

Velodyne VA1215X II Subwoofer; 250 Watt Class "A" Amp. 12" forward firing, 15" downward. I have owned one since late '93, early '94. Can pick one up used for under $400.00 used. No remote but I can count the number of times on one hand where I have had to make an adjustment.

Although many of my components have come and gone, the forte II's and the Velodyne are the one constant in my system.

I can't even imagine how much bass your guys' systems must put out, I have a RW-10d and I think it thumps pretty well but that's the small fish in the pond compared to what you guys are running. shit I've seen some of you running dual subs that is SICK!