La Scalas all around....sort of

billybobg

I have two early 80s La Scalas that I've carried around since I bought them new. I just completed building a center "short" La Scala for use as the center channel. The shorty has some mix and match in it, so its close but not a short clone. I acquired a couple of La Scala tops awhile back and thought of using them as my rear surrounds and would mount them high. I am contemplating building some bass bins to go with the tops, but would leave them floor standing. My thoughts are that the bass bins would not be as directional as the tops and leaving them at floor level would not be a big deal, plus they would not be as awkward or space consumming as mounting them high.

I do have a single Academy that I could try to match up with another and use them as the surrounds. The cost wouldn't be that different as the cost of a single Academy would be about the same as the cost of a couple of woofers that would go into the bass bins.

Appreciate some feed back.

Thanks,

bob

I do have a single Academy that I could try to match up with another and use them as the surrounds. The cost wouldn't be that different as the cost of a single Academy would be about the same as the cost of a couple of woofers that would go into the bass bins

I used to have three Academy's with my two LaScalas.

Short response: I was never happy with the output of the Academy's. They were simply outclassed by the output of the LaScalas. I do not mean in sound quality but in raw scale.

I'd prefer to nudge you towards having LaScalas all the way around and avoid or even sell the Academy's towards that end. (I sold mine and did something similar)

post-15072-1381958383446_thumb.gif