Advise on new speakers!?!?

davebfpd

Hello all i am looking for your advise again. i have had many questions answered here, some by my posts and many other by reading everyone elses.

I am looking to get new front speakers. I currently have RF62 for the fronts a RC62 center and a RW10d with a AVR254 witch sounds pretty good for its rating. I am looking to get emotiva XPA 5 down the road, also a UMC 1 WAY down the road.(Money is a hard thing now that we bought a house)

What i was wanting to do is try to use the RF62s for my surround(5.1) So what i am wondering is what would be a good matching front? I am wanting to go with a larger speaker, and i am thinking something in the reference line would be best. I am not sure if this is even a good idea using the RF62s for surround. I do not have any problems buying used.

The room that i am using is large. Sorry i dont have a camera to post any pics, but it is my basement witch i have this set up in a corner i can use all the area i want. The biggest issue is the wife will not let me build walls, we like to have parties down here so she likes it open. The basement is not finished just concrete walls.

Any ideas will be really helpful, thanks everyone

Dave

using floorstanders as surrounds IMO is great and the way to go if space and spouse are not limiting factors. As far as what's a good match.....go up the current line and decide how much you can/want to spend, RF 82's , 63's, 83's, or an older RF like the 7's or 5's.

Dave , I think we've spoke sometime back. Is your 62's running out of gas? Mine too.

I personally don't think that the 82's would be that big of a noticable difference as far as upgrade goes. I think the 63's and 83's are in a whole other class and would be a nice improvement. Or RF5's or RF7's like RockOn4Klipsch pointed out would be good too. There are some 63's for sale in the Garage Sale section.

Good luck Dave.

In my experience, the RF-25 (predecessor to the 62's)---->RF-82 upgrade was pretty darn significant. Now, that said, I will be purchasing RF-83's at some point down the line, but the 82's popped up and I got a fantastic deal on them. If you can find 82's for a good deal I wouldn't hesitate to jump on them. When you've saved some $$$ sell the 82's to absorb some of the cost of the 63's or 83's........ At least that's what I'm doin![;)]

Dave , I think we've spoke sometime back. Is your 62's running out of gas? Mine too.

I personally don't think that the 82's would be that big of a noticable difference as far as upgrade goes. I think the 63's and 83's are in a whole other class and would be a nice improvement. Or RF5's or RF7's like RockOn4Klipsch pointed out would be good too. There are some 63's for sale in the Garage Sale section.

Good luck Dave.

i agree with this statement. you won't hear a difference between a 62 and 82 if you are using a sub, you need to jump up one level. heres something to keep in mind. you want to match the front 3 speakers. the surrounds don't matter all that much. there is so little information going to them that anything back there will sound good. me personally i feel tower speakers for surrounds in a movie only sitution is a waiste. a lot of people like them more, i think it's overkill. if you are into music, then all towers is very nice.

a cheaper idea then replacing your 62's is upgrade the crossover. if you are good with soldering you can do the crossover your self. i would also suggest a good custom power cord. you don't need to spend tons of money on it either. look for good copper (4N purity), and either a silver/ rhodium connector or gold connector. if you have a power filter then getting a power cord with a shield will enhance it more. if you don't have a filter, then the shielded type doesn't do anything.

WOW!!! How sweet is it to wake up and have some awsome advice!

Peshewah yes we have spoke[:D] and you are spot on they are running out. Dont get me wrong they rock most people think i am crazy for wanting to upgrade but, i know you guys understand. I am happy to hear that you guys recomond the RF5s and RF7s thats kinda what i was thinking. Now just to find them when i have all the money lol.

Jrod, do you have any ideas what i can put on the walls or floor. Wife will pretty much let me do anything as long as i dont build walls.

Also, i use this for mostly music, sorry i had forgot to include that. It would be a 70% music 30% movie, we watch our shows down here and movies but mostly just rock out. Lots of rockband/guitarhero

Thanks again guys!