Wire guage/sub wiring for HD1000/Denon avr1910

superfiasco

I am getting my first Surround sound system and I have decided to go with The klipsch hd1000 with the avr 1910. I was reading online that the guage of your wire will be a difference with the speakers. What is ideal? Also ive was reading that the hd1000 does not come with sub wiring what does this mean and what is recomended to the the best experience? Also does anyone have any other suggestions to get the best experience out of using this system? PS how do I know what kind of speaker stands work with the hd1000? Thanks for your help.

For wire, I'd read this first and make my a decision.

http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm

While I agree with the author, I often find that wire of the guage that I use is cheaper in the form of a roll of speaker wire than say lamp wire of the same guage. Monster cable is the exception as it is priced high for the same guage. YMMV.

As for the sub wire. Some subs come with a wire for the sub as it has plugs special to sub woofer connection. I used a wire that came with my sub and found it easily picked up noise from a.c. cords that it crossed over. I ended up getting a shielded wire from Blue Jeans.

14 gauge wire is recommended as a minimum, and you can go 12 gauge if you want. After that, the improvements are less noticeable.

The sub lead is a mono (not stereo) shielded interconnect. It doesn't have to be sub-specific, but it should be well-shielded to prevent picking up hum or other interference.

Save some bucks on the sub cable!

I use quad shield RG-6, spend some money on a decent compression tool, and use compression type (not crimp type) "F" connectors for the ends. Then pick up a couple of F connector to male RCA adapters for the ends to mate to sub and AVR. I have used this set up in lengths of up to 100 feet thru some pretty heavy EMI prone areas and not heard any difference compared to a short run with expensive cable.

Get the fittings pictured on the left, do not use the right ones for anything other than in a slingshot. BTW, pictured is not quad shield. Make sure you get compatible fitting, RG-6 and tool. The fittings are normally color coded for dual or quad shield cable.

and what the other guys said about speaker wire.

Get yourself one each of the next two photos from Home Depot and you will never need another anything else as a general home owner.

The compression tool:

an a handy dandy cheapo coax stripper so the shield and center will always be cut properly:

Tools $63 and $12 bucks, compression tool can be found cheaper (and a LOT more expensive) but I tend to use a lot of coax between satellite, over the air HD and FM antennas so I got the gooder 1.