more newbie cornwall ?'s

juniper8

I picked my first pair of cornwalls in late march of this year and like many fell back in love with audio. I picked up a second pair yesterday that are very rough! the searches that i have done have yeilded very little. I just bought these to hear the differences and for 150.00 it is worth the lesson! so here goes unlike my first pair which are cbr's with metal horns these one's have metal tweeters and plastic midrange horns, because the cabs are bad should i make new ones? if the sound would be better than my 1980 cbrs i would definetly do it! the label says cbr 8437683 and 4 they have b-3 crossovers with a clarostat 200 ohm ceramic something attached to the tweeters, the tweeters say 824 0047 8936 with an r on them? midrange says k-57-k? the woofers are k33e, any advice or info about these would be great thanks!

With a careful application of bondo type wood filler, you could just re-use the original cabs and apply a new veneer coat of your choice. There are several threads in here about that subject. If I'm not mistaken there are actually two B-3 crossovers and both are good in my HO. I don't know about that resistor in the path of the tweeter, may be a makeshift type deal to protect it from blowing. Sounds like you have what we commonly refer to as a Cornwall 1.5, somewhere during the changover. This is good because of access to everthing through opening the back panel. The sky is the limit on conversions. The K601 (plastic) mid horn only uses a bolt on driver, I think: or the K57K in other words, and that is a limitation unless you can locate a couple of k600's (metal threaded): they are somewhat scarce. At any rate, most folks on here wouldn't hesitate to change out that horn, anyway (but you'd have to change the motorboard). $150 is a steal,,,great pick up. Ahem...we like pic's here...post them please.

BS

Take a look at this thread in regards to restoring a "cosmetically challenged" pair. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/117315.aspx

The "R" may refer to that the original K-77's were "blown" somewhere in their early career. See also this thread that details the Heritage series, including finishes, serials, drivers, timelines, etc. http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/103886.aspx

wow! what an amazing job you did! You should be very proud, and I also like Igor! I need my own IGOR. I have very little woodworking skills so refinishing may not be an option, I think I could build a new cabinet and maybe find someone who wants original cabs for a project such as yours! I doubt many would have the same outcome as yours! Masterful execution!!! Great links!!! Thanks

I wish I could post pics!!! I have no idea how to post a pic! My wife thought she knew how! she has been trying for an hour and a half with no luck! WE looked at alot of posts about it way above our heads If someone can give very very very simple directions how to it it would be great!

Dont get discouraged on veneering, especially if you have the skills to build new cabs. It's really not that difficult..go with a paper backed product and the iron on method first; pick a less expensive veneer for your first project. We can guide you through...especially groomlake...Need to look at Gregs website, too. Me no can linky...maybe somebody else can...show him some of Gregs work...

www.voltiaudio.com I think

BS[bs]

A great welcome to both of your're replies!!! I will try again posting pics in the morning.... veneering I may need 2 take a class! Thanks

Dont get discouraged on veneering, especially if you have the skills to build new cabs. It's really not that difficult..go with a paper backed product and the iron on method first; pick a less expensive veneer for your first project. We can guide you through...especially groomlake...Need to look at Gregs website, too. Me no can linky...maybe somebody else can...show him some of Gregs work...

BSPWK BS Button

again

A great welcome to both of your're replies!!! I will try again posting pics in the morning.... veneering I may need 2 take a class! Thanks

BSPWK BS Button

again

I would also looking at examining the prospect of modding-upgrading the innards of these while your at it. Crossovers- drivers- ect. I am not the expert on the subject but there are many on this forum. Some of the older CWs had weak links in terms of internal components. I am going through mine at some time in the near future. Harry O is up to speed in this area - you might check with him

Those were likely hanging in a club at some point and they were probably tired of blowing tweeters. They can be restored to perfection, though...and you have the perfect substrate...Raw Birch.. Take out those resistors and hook em straight up...

Go for the veneer job, when you have time...