rookie vinyl question

200 gram is thicker. I cannot state that they are always better, it's all in the recording/pressing. 200 gram has been released in recent years, especially things like half speed masters and certain special edition records that are USUALLY (but not always) a top notch recording.

Any specific music or lable you are looking at?

wilburys- orbison- clapton cream-tom petty- any blues modern or old- stones- yardbirds-lots of obscure 70s rock-anything that sounds good- maybe some modern jazz or classical.- Sheffield- Mofi- rookie stilll learning about vinyl.

using a yamaha PX-2 with a Grado RS cart at present- have a thorens 125- SME 2000 type 2 unmodded tonearm-Denon103R - not set up- waiting for ZU mods- parts not availabgle until fall??or when hell freezes- will cost 250-300 for profesional setup so I am waiting for the modded 103R

I see 200 gram and 180 gram vinyl- what is the difference? is the 200 gram the old stuff?? which is typically better?

Weight has nothing to do with sound quality. You'll find that some original thin lps from days gone by sound better than new reissues in 180-200 gram form.

Weight has nothing to do with sound quality. You'll find that some original thin lps from days gone by sound better than new reissues in 180-200 gram form.

Agreed...out of the box. However, some of us oldtimers remember when RCA "Dynagroove," first of the really thin floppy LPs came out we promptly re-labeled them "Dynawarp."

Thick is good, especially if your TT has no clamp or weight.

Dave