Belle Woofer Phase ?

USNRET

I screwed up while changing out internal wiring and forgot to remember. I did not enter the bass bin. Viewed from the rear looking at the terminal strip on top of the bass bin is + left or right?

I believe left is positive. But I'm not positive. My little black post/plate that you attach the wire to has a red mark on the vertical surface towards the rear. The red one was connected to the positive on the woofer.

Thanks, I need to go back in there an check out of curiosity. I have switched the leads at the xover a couple of times to check myself and it seems I must have it crossed at the bass bin. Either my speakers were out of phase to begin with or the new internal wiring did it but wholly shite I have never heard these sound this good. Where did that bass come from? My wife sat down to listen and she commented how smooth everything sounded and she has a -50 dB loss in one ear and -30 in the other over the entire range of hearing.

I should disclaim that I only re-wired one internally today as SHE had friends show up unexpectedly and I had to stop 'playing'. I had installed the interconnect, speaker wires and the power cords but had just started the internal wiring.I fell out of favor trying to get the left speaker back up and did not get to the right.

I have never been a believer in "wire" and I had a hodge podge of stuff but mostly one brand of interconnects. Purely for looks I ordered power cords, speaker wire, internal speaker wire and one more pair of interconnects so everything would match (also got matching sub cables for when I try the sub on the two channel). I don't know why and don't care but with one brand/one model (Verastarr Silverstream in this case) of the same silver coated OFC wiring my system has came frigging ALIVE. At idle the Belles are deathly quite; I can put my ear to the cloth and hear a hiss but move 6 inches and it disappears.

Note that I had some pretty anemic power wires as I just grabbed whatever was close at the time.

I checked my stash.... the little black Klipsch plastic terminal barrier strips have the "red" paint or + on the right side from the factory (If installed with the paint side "up"). Of course that does not help you when the hole through which the wires pass is probably too small to see which of the two lead screws has the red paint. You may have to lift off the top again..... On mine, the terminal strip, when viewed from the rear, the top with the red paint mark is facing the rear, which places the lead wire on the left side. Hope that helps. For me it's easy as I did away with the "Rubik's Cube" method of how the tops were normally attached... Now the tops are attached by hanger bolts with wing nuts mounted on the top of the bass bin, and passing through the bottom piece of the top section.

Thanks Marshall, as luck would have it this pair is opposite; one has red on right and the other red on left. I must go deeper but trying to decide if I want to replace woofers while I am there.

I replaced mine with bob crites cast. In all honesty I don't know if my ear can tell that much difference. I'm sure it would be worth it though to make sure that the woofers are in phase. That little black terminal will come off it it doesn't have a screw through it.

Thanks Marshall, as luck would have it this pair is opposite; one has red on right and the other red on left. I must go deeper but trying to decide if I want to replace woofers while I am there.

Not sure if you want to go this far as your Belles are much nicer, etc than the "flat black" spray painted, former FSU student apartment party speakers.... but, I'm "fixin" to strip them down and restore them as BK-BB's which was an option in 1979 (year of birth...).

What I am looking at is cutting a 5" circular hole in the bottom piece of the top section, centered under the horn and between the "wingnut" top removal "system". Underneath, on the bin, cutting another circular hole with a recess, and installing a terminal cup to allow banana's, etc; but easily accessible to remove the bass leads for moving the speakers around, etc..

Won't really hurt anything on this pair as just about every inch of veneer on them was either scratched, nicked, chipped, beer can stain marks, or painted with Krylon..... They'll look nice when I get them redone though....