The latest weekend "project"

jhoak

Following Marvel's lead I built a pair of baffle / stands for the pair of APT-150 tweeters that I got from Rudy81 a few weeks ago.

Here's a couple of pictures of them in place.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The imaging is very very different than what I am used to. I'm not sure if its the difference in the output of the bigger horns or perhaps the "time alignment" with the squawkers but I'm liking what I'm hearing.

Oh yea... Mad props to Marvel for the inspiritaion and to Rudy81 for the killer deal on the tweeters. :)

I'm glad you are enjoying them. I certainly did, much more so than the other tweeters I have tried.

I am going two way, so hope I won't miss them. BTW, those horns do make a big difference IMHO vs. the same driver in a smaller horn.

I googled the APT 150 and came up with a driver/horn combo for $40 at USSpeakers. Is this the one you are using? Would they sound good in a cornscala?

I'm pretty new at this kinda thing but I do know for sure that its a good price compared to other tweeters.

The "recommended" tweeter for a Cornscala is the Crites CT125. The CT125 was designed as a "drop in" replacement for the Klipsch K77 tweeters. The APT-150 uses the same driver as the CT125 but has a much larger horn.

If you've got the space there's no reason that I can think of to not use the APT-150 tweeters.

The driver is being retooled for Eminence (was made in Europe for them). If US Speaker has them in stock, that is the same price P.E. has them listed at, but P.E. is out of stock.

Bob, I think, is having mixed results. He has been testing the newer version of the driver (APT-50), but it is now made with the standard 1 3/8-18 threading, so he can't just screw it onto his horn.

Bruce

The driver is being retooled for Eminence (was made in Europe for them). If US Speaker has them in stock, that is the same price P.E. has them listed at, but P.E. is out of stock.

Bob, I think, is having mixed results. He has been testing the newer version of the driver (APT-50), but it is now made with the standard 1 3/8-18 threading, so he can't just screw it onto his horn.

Bruce

Bruce is right that I did not ever get happy with test results on the new APT-50-2 driver from Eminence. So, I am trying to import the originals myself. That is going to happen, I think, but I can tell you that the business of importing products is incredibly complicated.

Bob Crites