starting from scratch

JohnWhite

The HT I have is old and finally died the other day so it got tossed and I sold off the old speakers, So; I would like some ideas for a nice home theater system. the only speakers I have currently have left is a pair of Cornwall Verticals that I picked up some years ago, the problem is I'm moving next month and the living room is much smaller and there wont be room for them. I can store them but I'm considering selling them in order to buy a new HT system. The TV is a 52" sony Bravia. I havent looked at HT stuff in years so I'm starting to do my homework and thought I'd ask here for some idea's.

Welcome back to the forum John...

Bill hit everything on the head to help us help you... How big of a room are you going to use?

You might want to keep those Cornwalls and maybe use them in another room for a 2-channel setup, if it's possible.

James

Thanks for the reply, I've not been on the forum here for a few years. The room will be about 12x15, small house, the budget will be slim, I dont want to spend more then 2K really, but might if I buy the components separately. What I really need is a bit of direction for home theater systems, THX? Dolby? whats stable, whats obsolete, what do I need to look out for while shopping for components, The room is going to be small so I dont want huge speakers. are some of the wireless systems worth looking at or is the sound crap?

For that I'm sure you can find great Klipsch speakers and used would take your dollar even further.

Keep the Cornwalls and get two pair of used Heresy for $400 per pair. Use one pair as your surrounds and a single as your center, you an use the other single for the 6 in a 6.1 setup.

Keep the Cornwalls get a pair of Heresy for the rear and and Academy for the center... Still under be under $1000 and use the rest for a receiver or separates.

Sell the Cornwalls and get the XL-23 setup, with the Cornwalls sold and the $2k it will be cutting it close if you get the 5 speakers but like always, cash talks and you still might find them used.

Now I know you said the your room is 12x15 but I have a small room also and have my RF-83 setup in it, maybe 15x18.

As far as receivers and separates go just look to see what you need to hook up and make sure you have that covered then figure what you might need in the future. The good thing about separates is you would only have to change the pre and the amps could be the same that you already have. Instead of paying top dollar every time for a receiver, but if you get a receiver that you like and don't need to add anything then you are good to go until the upgrade bug bites again.

James

Because of the way the living room is layed out I wont be able to use the cornwalls, the TV will take too much of the room. I did see the klipsch HD theater 500 on craigslist which might work, I want to keep the cornwalls but will have to store them for a period of time.