GETTING A 7-CHANNEL POWER AMP FOR MY KLIPSCH RF-63's RC-64 & RS-52's

Hey all,,

OK OK, I know this has got to be THE most NOOB question asked on the internet, and believe me I've tried to figure it out on my own,, but to no avail.. so here it is,,,,

I have a set of RF-63's, RS-52's and a RC-64,, and none of them are above 200W RMS... now, I've heard I should go with a power amp that has generally double the amount of RMS power that the speakers can produce at 8oms? So I should be looking for a 7-channel power amp that will do ~400RMS x 7????? The only amplifier I can think of that comes close within my budget ($4000) is the Outlaw 7900 that requires dual 15A breakers and outputs 300W RMS x 7,, does this mean that if I were to get anything below that I wouldn't be pushing my speakers to their max?? I also read on the Klipsch site that the max rating was 175W RMS but Peak or Max is 700W...?? Does that mean that if I were to get the Outlaw 7700 which requires a single 15A breaker and outputs 200W RMX x 7 I wouldnt be pushing my speakers all the way? What should I go for guys?? Any explanation, help or pointers would be HUUUGELY appreciated!! :)

Cheers,

Pete

There's no need to spend anywhere near $4000 on an amp. Find a multi-channel amp from a well known brand and don't worry about the wattage ratings. Any decent amp that has a true 100 watts per channel will slaughter your eardrums.

If you want to make a more noticeable upgrade move your RF-63s to surrounds and get RF-83s for fronts.

Amplification has a point of diminishing returns that comes into play at a much lower price than speakers do.

I would say that you don't want an amp that has more than your speakers are capable of handling. Turning it all the way up would overpower and ruin your speakers. Many on the forum use tube equiptment at 25 wpc or less to power very capable speakers. I agree that a true 100 wpc amp will be more than enough for your speakers.

Perhaps the 1/2 formula you are thinking of goes the other way...an amp that has 1/2 the wpc of the speakers' RMS rating?

Welcome to the forum.

Get this amp and be done with it. Loads of current(75 amps peak to peak) to get those woofers going.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1279306469&/B-K-Reference-200.7-black-powe

Or maybe this one. Don't be fooled by the RMS wattage. Look at the dynamic wattage.

http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampsmult&1278623164&/Nad-T-975-7-x-140-wpc-factory-

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all!!

Thanks a bunch for the warm welcome! :) So I did some research on some dynamic wattage (amplifier headroom) and I have found that in order to full unlock these speakers to get as powerful an amp as possible... I'm looking at the Sunfire TGA-7401 7-Channel Amp. It does 400w @ 8ohm all channels driven 20hz-20khz.Do you guys agree that since it says 750W Max for the RF-63's that my aural experience would improve the closer I would be able to get to that number at RMS from the amplifier in terms of headroom dynamics??

What are your thoughts on Sunfire 7401,,, its a Class D amplifier I believe... :)