Receiver clearance for cooling

drhowarddrfine

After searching around, I'm confused about clearance on the sides of my receiver for cooling. The manufacturer recommends 30cm above the receiver but I haven't been able to find any shelving units that would allow for such a space after doing some quick lookarounds. I'd prefer to use my current TV stand but that would allow only about 1/2 inch clearance on top but plenty of room on the sides. It's not enclosed so it's open air on all the sides.

My question, then, is do I need to provide additional cooling, such as with a fan, for such a layout? To repeat, it sits on a glass shelf with 1/2-inch clearance on top but open air on all four sides.

The answer depends on how hot your unit gets under use.

My friend has a Yamaha in almost completely enclosed spac - barely worm. I run Denon which sits open just like yours - barely worm. On the other hand an Onkyo with 1/2 inch of space on top and other sides open may get so hot - you could cook on it.

• Moderators

Even a receiver on clearance is no good for cooling, get an AC. [Y]

Sorry Doc couldn't help it..........you should be fine like you described, after it's playing for a while touch the top and see how it feels. Being a Yamaha I think your OK, mine gets a little warm but not Hot after a hard workout

Drhowarddrfine,

Welcome to the forum.

I bought one of these for my Onkyo receiver and it lowered the temp. 15 to 20 degrees Farenheight. It is only .511 inches tall. Fan is placed on top of receiver and the hot air is sucked up and expelled to the sides. Simple operation. Very effective.

http://www.buyextras.com/evavcoblfanf.html

Bill