hum noise

i got a ground loop problem... whoa, english here... i had a ground loop problem and fixed it with a gound cheater. no ground, no problem.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

Justin,

Issue here is a slightly different kind of ground loop. It's not simply a difference in the ground potential between the chassis of a couple of different components. When you have a cable, or satellite, hookup, you'll have a separate external gound point for the cable service. This gound point is typically at a different potential than the main service ground. When you connect the coax cable to the receiver or other component, you get a nasty gound loop that, for all practical purposes, exists between the inside of the house and the gound point of the cable TV hookup. The only way to eliminate this is to break the connection, either via properly designed transformer or an optical connection, isolating the cable service from the electrical service. The MAGIC box does this very well.

John,

Too soon to tell. Another few weeks will tell the tale of whether the business I'm trying to get off the ground with two partners (ex CEO and ex VP-engineering of previous company) is going to make it.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

good luck on the startup ray... oh and i have a picture you might recognize...

raychart.jpg

saw this pinned up in my dad's office, it is like what you did at your last company.

i had the same exact problem... connecting the cable tv to my system would cause this... got a gound cheater put on the components that had a ground, and it got rid of the hum

------------------

-justin

SoundWise Support

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

I am an amateur, if it is professional;

ProMedia help you want email Amy or call her @ 1-888-554-5665 or for an RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

Klipsch Home Audio help you want, email support@klipsch.com or call @ 1-800-KLIPSCH

RA# Fax Number=317-860-9140 / Parts Department Fax Number=317-860-9150s>

• 3 weeks later...

My brother-inlaw had the same problem. After trying to deal with the 60 cycle hum in his stereo system, we moved the TV and unplugged the cable. The hum was gone. Turns out that the cable company grounded the cable to the house ground thus creating the perfect conditions for a 60 cycle hum much like using different wall outlets for the system. The solution turned out to be a smallish 60 cycle hum eliminator/filter we found at the local electronics/computer store for $6.99. Cheap and worked like a charm. Of course, you could avoid all this by tracking down the cable ground and fixing that. Just a recent experience - hope it helps.

actually grounding the cable tv to the same ground as the electrical system should fix/prevent a ground loop.

but i've read the cable tv has other (different) grounds on upstream like at the base station or whatever, so you could still have a ground loop.

haven't had the cable tv grounded to the elec sys earth ground though. they're on opposite sides of the house.

i have both a cable ground loop & component ground loop. the only feasible way was cheaters to totally eliminate. if just a magic or isolator there takes care of it that's the way to go. but i had like 6 different connections creating mine. Frown.gif

------------------

My Home Systems Page