Best Heritage Component Setup for Incredible Custom Center Channel?

Dayzed50

At the risk of criticism from all sides I'll confess my sins. I kept the 3" and the sides of the straight part of the base bin (about 7"). The slope at the rear did change and I had it run from the opening of the base bin to the side of the base bin. The flare is what it is. I can't quote the source, but in researching I found that the extra flare at the front would not affect the response as much as keeping the volume of the base bin consistant with the original. I'm willing to accept inputs (stone throwing) should anything not bare out, but I'm very satisfied with what I hear.YMMV. If I had the equipment, I would make measurements, Now that you've mentioned it, I probably should do the calcs and see if anything I did is fatal.

At the risk of criticism from all sides I'll confess my sins. I kept the 3" and the sides of the straight part of the base bin (about 7"). The slope at the rear did change and I had it run from the opening of the base bin to the side of the base bin. The flare is what it is. I can't quote the source, but in researching I found that the extra flare at the front would not affect the response as much as keeping the volume of the base bin consistant with the original. I'm willing to accept inputs (stone throwing) should anything not bare out, but I'm very satisfied with what I hear.YMMV. If I had the equipment, I would make measurements, Now that you've mentioned it, I probably should do the calcs and see if anything I did is fatal.

It's not my intent to criticize, only to learn, and I apologize if I came across attacking. If the measurements are known (and they are), and the T/S parameters of the woofer are known (and they are), it's a fairly simple thing to plug the numbers into Hornresp and see what comes out. Just like with WinISD and subwoofers, the horn sims make it much easier to identify opportunities for improvement and see when the design is "done" than going through iterations of making sawdust and listening. ;-)

If you're happy with it, that's what matters. I think what you have there is a fantastic idea, and from your impressions I'd take it that the idea held through to execution. The thrust of my questioning was really toward the objective, predictive, and measurement aspects of it.

Cheers!

Olorin,

Frankly, I didn't take your question as criticism. Only curiousity. I think that's what keeps forums going. I've shared what I know and questions are to be expected. I'm just being honest. Fact is, I've got the math skills to figure out, just didn't think that it would affect the LF enough to matter. As IKF stated, we live in the mid regions. The LF tends to be geared towards efficiency and again, this seems totally up to the job. Anyway, I really do appreciate the comments I've received and I do like playing around. It would have been a real bummer had I, like you said, found it totally unacceptable after several weekends of work.

bob

Islander,

Thanks for the kudo. I do see single Belles occasionally, and quite frankly I've thought since the build that perhaps a Belle could have worked with a bit smaller screen build. Belles are beautiful.

thanks for the info billy! much obliged. worked both days this weekend and with the sunshine (uncommon this summer for us) i spent all weekend outside and in the shop, no online time. gonna start this bad boy this week, i'll let you know on the progress. i got ahold of my buddy who does granite. he says he can do the horn and tweeter cutouts in black granite for the face of the upper section, and i think we'll use granite for the very top piece too, should withstand the tv abuse better. just finished my mdf core/birch plywood dual 15" subwoofer sofa cabinet box to match my existing la scalas, i'll post some pics if you guys are interested. very happy with how it turned out, sounds even better. nothing like a pair of 15's firing into your back, almost takes your breath away. thanks again!

never mind.

buy an old lascala or a pair if you got room. There is a pair of shells available in our town for a 100 bucks. Learn to refinish them and you end up with a great looking center. It's not that hard.