KG 5.5 vs RF3 (not the IIS)

BigCliff

I have a pair of 5.5s and have an chance to pick up the RF3s. Would there be a significant difference to go to the RF 3's. I like the 5.5 but seem a little bottom end heavy, maybe just because I am spoiled by my Chorus IIs though. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Big Cliff

How do you like your RF 3s? I just picked up the KG 5.5 a month ago and I am still trying to tune them in with my room and equalizer. I think they do have a lot of bass though. Like I said in my post, I guess I am spoiled by the Chorus IIs.

RF 3s are my first klipsch to own.I like em. They beat all my other speakers . They just don't have that very low end bass that I find saturating us all. Like you I am also spoiled by the kenwoods LS707M tower speakers , which though not as articulate or accurate ,rather dull and muddy , have given me so much bass and visceral feeling ,that it often hurts how less engaging is the bass in the klipsch .but that's just a sound impression imprinted on my mind .

The kens or any others I have ,donot stand a chance to go louder ,or clearer than the RF3s.

Man is a greedy animal.

Now that I finally got reference series klipsch ,I now wana go get some fortes or the choruses.

They are the most reputed and acclaimed speakers in klipsch lobby imho.

And my feelings are for them.

Everyone has told me to give away these RF3s and get hold of heritage or extended heritage klipsch.

My problem is finding em here .

Well I do not know about the RF3s, I have a chance to get a pair but I am not sure I want them. I would get them if I knew they would be better then the kg5.5s which I now have. That is what I am trying to find out. That being said the Chorus speakers are fantastic, I think you just can't beat the sound of a three way speaker IMHO. They are way better then the KG5.5s and well they should be. If you get the Fortes or the Chorus you will be very pleased. Then you will be wanting Klipshhorns or La Scalas or Belle Klipsch. There are also many Klipsch speaker that would be an upgrade from the RF3's but I personally would go with the Klipsch Heritage line. I have the Chorus speakers in my HT and KGs in my recreation room. Just looking to improve what I have at the present time.

OK thanks a lot for the input. You will not be disappointed with the

Chorus. My next step from the, forChorus would be the LaScala or the

Belle Klipsch. I believe with either of them though you would need a

good musical subwoofer to complete the overall sound. Are you running a

sub with the RF 3s? If not maybe that is all the you need, for now

that is. Once bitten by the bug you always are looking for something

better.

As for you finding Heritage for yourself keep an eye on

Craigslist. Here in Chicago every once in awhile they pop up there and

sometimes pretty cheap because people sometimes do not know what they

are selling.

Thanks again,

Big Cliff

I gather all info from this forum,and while u r at it , u may learn from others that kg 5.5 were a bit less refined in the overall sound.maybe a bit punchier but not as articulate as reference line ,and as a few users have told me the rf3s are also very very particular about the gear we use with them and they have a very beautiful midrange ,just not as good as 3way speakers.but they have gr8 highs crisp and accurate,not muddy at all.and the lows are tight and punchy ,not muffled or dumb boomy. The KG series stands a step below the legend series I think and the legend speakers KLF20 are regarded as THEE best out of a whole lottof klipsch line .

I seem to be drifting away .but my point is that I think if music is ur priority and very articulate and open neat sound u want then rf3s wud perhaps out perform any KGs.

Just my humble opinion.

and the differences between RF-3s and RF-3 IIs is possibly the finish they came in and the addition of Mon$ter brand internal wiring...a bit of perspective too is the the newest Synergy F-3s are updated RF-3s...should you stay KG 5.5s (which were $900 plus a pair new) I highly recommend adding Bob Crites or Klipsch Titanium tweeter diaphragms...nice step up in the HF for the BIG KGs...

If you like your Chorus and the Klipsch Heritage and extended Heritage sound over your KGs and RF then what you might be missing is that mid presentation the 3 ways have...I prefer it myslef...but my KG 5.5s have a LOT of bass and the tweeter upgrade was significant...they still don't trump my Heresys, Quartets, Chorus IIs or Klipschorns...

Bill

Thanks for the input Bill. So in your opinion I should keep the 5.5 and do the Bob Crites upgrade. What about without the upgrade do you have any idea if either of the 5.5s or the RF3's is better then the other. On the other hand you are right in the fact that I should probably just wait for a pair of Heritage or extended Heritage to become availabl. Just something so much better about the three way sound to myself anyway.

Big Cliff

I don't know that the Reference speakers are enough of a jump up from thebig KGs to make the purchase unless you like their sound...I think the divide narrows when you add the Titanium tweeter mod, it is relatively inexpensive and quite easy to do (if I can do it)...I prefer the 3 way Heritage sound so that colors my response...sent you an email too...

Bill

Well, I have not heard RF 3s.

I do own KG 5.2s and a set of Heresy Is.

(2 way vs. 3 way).

I will agree the 3 way heritage has that classic Klipsch sound; and I believe 3 way is a better design.

That being said..... These KG 5.2s are THUMPERS. I literally can knock items from the shelves.

Using my receivers EQ; I would say these sound at least 80% as clean and as the Heresies they replaced. (They are going to 2 channel).

My opinion of 3 way versus 2 way has not changed; but definitely the gap has been narrowed......

My point is; do not discount the 5.5s. They are the flagship of that line and with the right amplification can hold their own and then some.

Well I must admit the more I work with them and my EQ the more I am liking them. Loud and power is not the problem they will definitely ROCK OUT. I was not really satisfied (at first) with their performance at lower listening levels, but they are growing on me. I think my biggest problem like I had stated earlier is that I am spoiled by my Chorus IIs. That being said though, there is a pair of Fortes I can pickup locally so I am going to sell the 5.5s and get the Fortes if all works out as planned.