Changing The Crossover Frequency

ka7niq

I have had some success in the past voicing speakers for my room and my tastes by slightly altering the values of the stock crossover capacitors. In many Klipsch Heritage speakers, I have been reluctant to do this, because of the cut off of the horns. Dynamic drivers can usually be made to cover a little more frequency spread. My Electro Voice Sentry III's use the SM 120 Horn and 1843 driver, I think that is the number. They are crossed from the 15 inch woofers at 600 and 3500 to the E/V ST 350 tweeter in the E/V Sentry 3's. However, in the Sentry IV's, using this same horn and driver, they are crossed at 400 hz! This indicates to me this horn/driver combo can play down lower, so I am going to try it. The SM 120 and the 1843 driver will play well above 3500 hz, yet that is where it crosses over to the ST 350 tweeter. Why ? Why not let it play above 3500, since it can, and see how it sounds in my room ? All it will take is altering the capacitor values a bit, and see how it sounds ? The SM 120 is a CD horn, and is said to require some equalization? I am not familiar with CD Horns and the EQ they require. Is it the high frequencies that require EQ once you go up past a certain frequency ? If so, perhaps that is why EV stopped at 3500 when they have a combo that can play well above that ? Anyone have any thoughts on what I am contemplating ?

10dB down points.

1823 on SM120 needs boost to make it to 4Khz.

That is probably why EV crossed it over at 3500 in the Sentry III's then ?

There seems to be 2 1823's ? One for PA use, and one for music use, with wider bandwidth ?