Cable TV Box - Comcast

jbd

This might be the wrong forum, but you guys know the most out there so I'll give it a try.

I am dealing with antiquated stuff here in trying to solve my mom's tv/cable hook-up. She recently had to get a new Comcast box to continue getting her expanded basic channels. Her tv must be set to channel 3 and all of the chanels run through the cable box.

Problem: If she want to record a program on her DVD recorder, she can't watch another program at the same time. She can only record the channel that the cable box is set to. I realize that this cable box does not have 2 tuners.

Can I run a splitter from the cable box to create 2 feeds, essentialy giving me 2tuners? I was thinking of running one line straight to the tv and one line to the DVD recorder. Thoughts? Will this work? Is there a femall-male-male adapter?

I know the simple answer is to get her a DVR which has 2 tuners built in but she is toatlly against that!

Thanks!

• Like 1

I'm not sure what kind of cable box she has ~ Comcast recently issued a free small converter box (up to 2 or 3) for customers still using analog TV without digital tuners as they convert to all digital signal.

The easiest way would be to upgrade the Comcast cable box to one that has a built-in DVR with 2 or more tuners. You can now (in some areas) also select what programs you want to record and manage your Comcast DVR via internet.

The other solution ~ if the TV set has a digital tuner ~ would be to place a splitter before the cable box. One output from the splitter goes to the cable box, the other to a second cable-ready digital input on the TV. You can also use a TV A/B switch box (Radio Shack). However, be aware that with this kind of setup you're probably also going to have to "reset" all the TV channels each time you switch back and forth as some stations will be on different channel locations with the direct cable input verses input from the cable box.

I just experienced the same thing. Questioning the tech that did the install, what he said is; a1) a separated cable tuner box just for the DVD recorder. The problem is how to keep the remote from operating the other box unless you cover it up or something. 2(Rent the DVR with dual channels and he recommended staying away from TiVo, his opinion not mine. 3) Buy a new TV with built in DTV tuner. You still have to have the cable company intall a card of some sort and use the little DTV box on your DVD recorder. 4) Build a HTPC. You can build a system with up to four tuner cards. You supposedly can not receive any programing straight from the cable without going through the new little box.

This new system has rendered all my DVD recorders set ups obsolete.

I am no expert, just sharing what I have recently learned. I am examing all alternatives.

Robert[:S]