Calling Mac owners...

I've got the opportunity to grab a mc-2505 for $500 with a wood case. I've got the ma-6200, love it, love the sound, it fits all of my needs nicely. I think the 2505 is a pretty sweet deal, but it's less power than the 75w I'm running now. Of course both are plenty for the Cornwalls. So what I'm wondering is if I'll be gaining anything other than some extra weight on my stand? Would running a separate amp with the 6200 make a noticeable difference?

I was reading a thread on AK about the mac sound being pretty similar between their ss gear, that the only difference within a particular generation of gear is the power. Anyone have any experience? I mean, I like the blue lamps and all, but if it's going to sound the same I'd rather put the $500 towards my new turntable fund. OTOH, I could probably get all of my money back if I did buy it and sell it off later.

I'm running MC-250s and MC2100 updated by DeWick and love them. Sound about as close to tubes as I have heard from vintage s/s. I also have a new MC-252 and it does not sound the same as the vintage units. The newer ones have less depth, more of flat presentation from a soundstage perspective, but more clarity, more of a high resolution sound. The older ones sound softer and seem to have more depth of soundstage and space. Still there is somewhat of a match when used together, But the new and old do have a different sound. The 2505 should be a great unit. I would send it to DeWick and get it updated.

I almost cannot tell the MC250 and MC2100 apart, except for the power like you say. So what you mention about units within a particular generation sounding the same may be true.

I would grab the MC 2505 at $500 (in good condition) w/wood case regardless of how I planned to use it. It is generally going for $610 (w/o the case). If you don't employ it into your system, you could sell it yourself or trade up.