To replace our Klipsch 5.5's or not for new home theater

tsack

We are finishing our basement and adding a home theater. This room will be used for music listening and general TV viewing as well as movies. We have a pair of Klipsch 5.5 towers (1997) and a matching center channel. I have had several home theater contractors tell me to replace them with smaller speakers. I have yet to hear anything that compares. I am willing to get rid of them, but don't want to throw away money by compromising the sound just for the smaller size. Any ideas/input is appreciated!

Your home theater contractors sound like complete morons. Okay heres my take: The kg 5.5s (although i have no experience with the kg line) are a better than average home theater speaker. Also if you have a center (a big center that is timbre matched is optimal) to match you are off to a great start.The last thing you want to do is get smaller speakers!!! Especially if your wife is okay with floorstanding speakers. If you let us know what sort of budget you are working with that would be great. You could start off with buying some RS-42 surrounds if you dont have surrounds and then plan to upgrade to klipsch reference fronts and center. Buy used if you can find something used in your area too (just make sure to listen before you buy). Also if you need suggestions on other parts of the home theater ask away. By asking us you can get twice the sound for the same amount of money best buy would charge you!

If your room will be big enough for your current speakers I would keep them and look for a nice pair of surrounds, the RS series of speakers are great, but if you like to listen to a lot of music I would look for another pair of 5.5's or 5.2's as they are matching tweeters and close to the same sensativety. I run Chorus mains and Chorus II's as surrounds and really like the way it sounds for both music and movies.

Good Luck,

~ross

Thank you for your help. I am the wife and am OK with the tower speakers although I would really like to hide them in a partial cabinet with a speaker cover. We are still in the stage of determining whether to do projection or flat panel or both. I am leaning towards both with the flat panel for general TV viewing and xbox playing. It is amazing the conflicting information you hear from contractors. I think we are going to pay them to run the cables then get the equipment ourselves.

I really appreciate your input.

Tracy

I say if you like the sound of the speakers keep them and don't let others tell you what's "better".

If you have some time take a look at the HT picture thread, there are some that hid their front speakers behind a screen wall like you are talking about.

Also if you get the equipment yourself you can do the research to find what you like and don't like.

Remember, it is YOUR setup and have fun....

Also, Welcome to the forum...

James