Flatening a warped album?

fwphoto

My college-aged son got interested in records awhile back so I hooked him up with a stereo & gave him a few of my old albums to start with. He's gotten a few on his own since then & I often give him records as gifts along the way.

Recently, I picked up a very clean copy of CSN&Y's "Deja Vu" & gave it to him. When he moved out of his dorm last spring somehow it ended up in the trunk of his car. As you can imagine, it gets pretty hot back there & this record now has a noticeable warp to it.

Has anyone had success flatening a warped record? I'll probably just lay it flat with some heavy stuff on top & hope nature takes its course, but I wonder if there's a better way. Anyone ever heat it up first? If so, how did you heat it up without damaging it?

TIA,

Frank W.

Hey Frank,

I've heard of people flattening records in a warm oven, but I'm not sure if they had much success! It's worth a try, since it is already warped. Warm is the key thing, if you get it hot, I think the grooves might melt away. [^o)]

Good luck and keep us posted,

Dennie

Don't think 'm gonna do the oven thing first. We still have a few hot, sunny days left here in No. OH so I think I'll make some sort of "record sandwich" & put it on the deck for awhile - checking regularly!

I'll let you all know the results when I'm done.

Frank W.